• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Game Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaVeDoG

What is the name of your state? Washington

On an online game, Diablo II, if two players agree to exchange items, is that a legally binding contract? I ask this because there are certain items that can't be placed in the trade screen, so it takes a much riskier method of trading when one of those items is involved, and most of the time one person ends up taking both items. Isn't that theft? If you go into a store and agree to pay $5 for a magazine, then just grab the magazine and leave with your $5, that's considered theft. So basically, if you can show (recording the event maybe?) that a person stole your item, even though it isn't a material object, can you take legal action against them?

HomeGuru

CaVeDoG said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

On an online game, Diablo II, if two players agree to exchange items, is that a legally binding contract? I ask this because there are certain items that can't be placed in the trade screen, so it takes a much riskier method of trading when one of those items is involved, and most of the time one person ends up taking both items. Isn't that theft? If you go into a store and agree to pay $5 for a magazine, then just grab the magazine and leave with your $5, that's considered theft. So basically, if you can show (recording the event maybe?) that a person stole your item, even though it isn't a material object, can you take legal action against them?
**A: ask the fairy Godmother.

JETX

The problem with your whole scenario is "even though it isn't a material object". If it isn't real, you have no REAL damages. Kind of like if I steal your imaginary car, that is NOT car theft.

HomeGuru

JETX said:
The problem with your whole scenario is "even though it isn't a material object". If it isn't real, you have no REAL damages. Kind of like if I steal your imaginary car, that is NOT car theft.
**A: but would it then qualify as imaginary theft of an imaginary car?

JETX

Yes, and then he would have to file a complaint with the imaginary police, who would then take it to the imaginary prosecutor and eventually lead to an imaginary trial!! And maybe even imaginary prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">