• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bezerkgal

What is the name of your state? IN

To the point: I own a wedding cake shop, been in business for 5 years, very busy. Have done over 600 wedding cakes, can count complaints on one hand. Every Sat. morning before I deliver the cakes, I set them up at my store to ensure they are not leaning, etc. A few weeks back I had a wedding cake that was stacked (no pillars, but support dowels in each tier), I set it up at my shop and let it sit for 3 hours, it was perfectly fine. I disassembled it, boxed it up, and re-assembled it at the reception site. It was perfectly fine then, too. Florist was to come after me and put flowers on it.
Monday morning after the wedding, I received a call from the bride's mother stating that the cake was leaning, she has pictures, wants her money back, if I don't give her a full refund she is going to take me to court... blah blah blah. I talked to the banquet manager at the reception site, she says it was leaning... but the cake was definitely eaten. Plus, it had a cake topper on it that would have slid off if it was leaning enough, and didn't fall off. My husband thinks someone at the reception hall bumped the table good, and is not 'fessing up. Why should I be liable for the cake after I leave? It was fine for 3 hours that morning. I don't do this as a hobby, this is my life. They bought it and ate it. Shouldn't she hold the reception hall liable? By the way, my contract is with the bride... who hasn't even contacted me, yet. I've only heard from her nasty mother.

Thanks for any help.

H

hexeliebe

By the way, my contract is with the bride
Ignore the mother and deal only with the bride.

Until there is a claim by the bride you are not liable for anything. And even IF the bride calls to complain, she would have to prove that something you did or failed to do resulted in the cake leaning.

Even if she were able to do this, since the cake was eaten, she could only recover a portion of the damage (if any) that she suffered.

relax. You seem to be a victim of "Mother of Bridezilla".

P

PJcampo

I would just apologize and ignore ay legal threats. I would not give any refund unless you had some kind of guarantee that it would be perfectly straight to X degrees. Your cakes sound good. I would not worry much about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">