• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NeAdvice

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

A year ago a friend of mine loaned me $800, I had a verbal agreement with him. The understanding was, by my part I would pay him by August of 2003, however he told me "whenever is fine" and he was not worried about it. I have unfortunately been out of a job since that time and have been unable to pay him back. I would very much like to pay him, but that’s not possible right now. Lately there has been conflict between us involving other matters, and I feel that if I break our friendship now he may try to take this matter up in court. But I am unsure of that. What I would like to know is if he has any grounds in court to try to recover this money? I am not trying to avoid paying and even if I do break the friendship I plan to pay it back when I can. There was nothing in writing about this arrangement, although he did ask me to put it in writing, we kind of just went along with never doing that. Thank you all for your time!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NeAdvice said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

A year ago a friend of mine loaned me $800, I had a verbal agreement with him. The understanding was, by my part I would pay him by August of 2003, however he told me "whenever is fine" and he was not worried about it. I have unfortunately been out of a job since that time and have been unable to pay him back. I would very much like to pay him, but that’s not possible right now. Lately there has been conflict between us involving other matters, and I feel that if I break our friendship now he may try to take this matter up in court. But I am unsure of that. What I would like to know is if he has any grounds in court to try to recover this money? I am not trying to avoid paying and even if I do break the friendship I plan to pay it back when I can. There was nothing in writing about this arrangement, although he did ask me to put it in writing, we kind of just went along with never doing that. Thank you all for your time!

My response:

You said, "There was nothing in writing . . ." Perhaps, but was the loan given to you by check, cash, money order?

IAAL

N

NeAdvice

Cash. He also claims he wants it back in cash, his reason is that its "tax free" I guess hes trying to avoid taxes on it or something?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NeAdvice said:
Cash. He also claims he wants it back in cash, his reason is that its "tax free" I guess hes trying to avoid taxes on it or something?

My response:

Then, in that case, you tell him, "What loan? I didn't get any money from you!"

You know, it would have been a simple matter for him to take a crayon, and some toilet paper, and put a sentence or two in writing, and then have you sign it.

But, no.

Hey, the "burden of proof" is on him. Let him try to prove his claim in front of a judge.

IAAL

HomeGuru

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Then, in that case, you tell him, "What loan? I didn't get any money from you!"

You know, it would have been a simple matter for him to take a crayon, and some toilet paper, and put a sentence or two in writing, and then have you sign it.

But, no.

Hey, the "burden of proof" is on him. Let him try to prove his claim in front of a judge.

IAAL

**A: did Judge Judy learn that from you IAAL? That's good stuff.

N

NeAdvice

Thanks for your advice. Like I said, I do plan on paying him. *If* it does go to court, and I would admit to owing the debt, what would be the outcome? I mean, would they most likely set up payments or force me to pay at once? I am asking this because im a pretty honest person, but it's possible that I would just say "no idea what this guys talking about" if it turned out he was just trying to be "evil" about the whole situation.

JETX

Why do you people insist on stabbing 'friends' in the back AFTER they have done YOU a favor.

Pay the person back for the money he clearly LOANED you. If you truly can't pay him back at this time, why not pay him SOMETHING..... Hell, forget about having to see that new LOR movie and give him $10 bucks a week. If it is really the most you can afford, he will understand. If you sees you out clubbing two nights a week and buying $$ in drinks, he will also understand.

If he wants proof in writing, give it to him.

Grow up and be what your parents wanted to you to be..... a mature, responsible adult!!

N

NeAdvice

I never asked for your moral advice, thanks. I am making payments. You dont understand the whole situation so f$%k off.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NeAdvice said:
You dont understand the whole situation so f$%k off.

===================================

My response:

Hey, hey, hey!

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth of yours?

You do?

Have you ever tongued her? I'll bet you do . . .

And, I'll bet you screw her too, just like you do to your friends!

IAAL

JETX

From this childs FIRST post on this thread:
"I have unfortunately been out of a job since that time and have been unable to pay him back."

And now... "I am making payments."

So, on top of everything else, he/she is proven to be a liar also!!

"You dont understand the whole situation so f$%k off."
*** Correct. We only understand what YOU tell us..... and what we 'devine' from other 'tones' in your post. And at this point, the only things that we DO know about you are:
- You are a liar.
- You borrow from friends and don't repay them.
- You then whine and cry when the (now former) friend asks for repayment.
- You cannot accept the facts when told to you.
- Your 'solution' to problems is to cuss out the person YOU asked to help.
- And finally, you have such a poor education and lack of vocabulary that you have to resort to cursing.

All in all, easy to see why you have no friends.

That certainly proves the lack of maturity for this writer..... and proves that his/her parents were failures also.

N

NeAdvice

It’s obvious that there are some no brained twits, children at that, giving advice on a free legal advice board. Well, now it’s obvious why it’s free, who on earth would pay children, whom have no clue what they are talking about any type of fee. Go on giving free advice, because that’s all you will be able to give.

IAAL: Very mature of you, how unprofessional.
JETX: Maybe you should reread your post and figure out who has the poor education and lack of vocabulary. You had 4 grammar errors, spelling errors and more than one sentence structure error. You might also want to try opening a dictionary and looking up the word you misspelled in the first place for its correct meaning. You have shown the most lack of intelligence I have ever witnessed, which includes many years of Usenet, which makes you just one sad person. It is obvious speaking from a psychological point of view you project your own inadequacies onto others. Maybe you should do a search for free psychological help. You may now rant and cry on your own, I wont be back to visit as there is an obvious lack of knowledge of “senior” members. BTW. 15,710 posts, and *I* have no friends. *chuckle*

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NeAdvice said:
It’s obvious that there are some no brained twits, children at that, giving advice on a free legal advice board. Well, now it’s obvious why it’s free, who on earth would pay children, whom have no clue what they are talking about any type of fee. Go on giving free advice, because that’s all you will be able to give.

IAAL: Very mature of you, how unprofessional.
JETX: Maybe you should reread your post and figure out who has the poor education and lack of vocabulary. You had 4 grammar errors, spelling errors and more than one sentence structure error. You might also want to try opening a dictionary and looking up the word you misspelled in the first place for its correct meaning. You have shown the most lack of intelligence I have ever witnessed, which includes many years of Usenet, which makes you just one sad person. It is obvious speaking from a psychological point of view you project your own inadequacies onto others. Maybe you should do a search for free psychological help. You may now rant and cry on your own, I wont be back to visit as there is an obvious lack of knowledge of “senior” members. BTW. 15,710 posts, and *I* have no friends. *chuckle*

My response:

Oh, now that really hurts!

And this from a slob who doesn't have a job, and who's worried about paying $800.00! Wow, you're poor, aren't you?

Pal, to me $800.00 is pocket money.

You sure do have a mouth on you - - especially for someone who doesn't have a pot to piss in.

IAAL

JETX

All that whining..... and still can't pay back an $800 LOAN from a friend.
What a shame!!!

Also, I said nothing about your grammar errors, only that you resort to cursing due to your lack of education and vocabulary. However, since I am mature enough to admit my mistakes, I admit to two typo's in my posts on this thead:
childs should have been child's
and
devine should have been divine

So, how about proving your statement:
"You had 4 grammar errors, spelling errors and more than one sentence structure error."??

And since you brought up the issue of grammar, here are YOUR mistakes in this thread:
hes should be he's
dont should be don't

And further proof of your immaturity and lack of social understanding..... you say that you are a "pretty honest person". As a mature responsible professional adult, I realize that you either ARE an HONEST person or your not. If you are 'pretty honest', you are NOT honest. And since you have already been proven a liar on this forum, it would appear that your statement would more accurately be that you are 'seldom if ever honest'.

Grow up and don't be an embarassment to yourself and your parents. :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">