• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business name conflicts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joegunn

What is the name of your state? ID

just started an Internet company advertising rental homes in ID. am not a property manager, just offer advertising and searches for renters. do not advertise apartments. have received a letter today threatening lawsuit if I don't change my business name, American Home Rentals.com, because it conflicts with a property management company, American Property Management, Inc. because I use the word "American" in my company name. Are fully licensed LLC.

do I have: any recourse, can I tell them where to go with their veiled threats, ignore them?

HomeGuru

Joegunn said:
What is the name of your state? ID

just started an Internet company advertising rental homes in ID. am not a property manager, just offer advertising and searches for renters. do not advertise apartments. have received a letter today threatening lawsuit if I don't change my business name, American Home Rentals.com, because it conflicts with a property management company, American Property Management, Inc. because I use the word "American" in my company name. Are fully licensed LLC.

do I have: any recourse, can I tell them where to go with their veiled threats, ignore them?
**A: is your business name registered with the state or federal government?
It appears that the property management company is un-American.

JETX

"can I tell them where to go with their veiled threats, ignore them?"
*** Of course you can do that. Then, they can decide on whether to actually take legal action against you. I agree with you that there claim is without merit and will likely be dismissed if it gets to court, but that will still cost you both time and money if it gets that far.

Now, you have a choice:
- Ignore them and hope that they will not take further action, or
- Negotiate with them to try to find some sort of compromise, or
- Fold your cards and change your name to avoid ANY problem.

J

Joegunn

Thank you for the advice, especially the B-52 idea. We have an AF base very close.

Again, thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">