• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to collect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

Can someone please tell me how to collect my money after I won in Court. The defendant did not file an appeal but doesn't seem to want to pay (it's been over 90 days). Can you help me please?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You go to your nearest bookstore and, in the legal section, you find and buy a "step-by-step" book on litigation. Toward the end, you'll see a chapter on "Collecting your judgment".

Buy the book, follow the instructions.

Simple.

IAAL

M

Men-of-Genius

Poster,

Please seek out a different site, this site is not what the "Search Engine" says it is.

The person responding to you has a VERY low tolerance for questions. It makes you wonder why he lives here with out being paid a penny.

IAAL, is the next "MAN OF GENIUS", to be aired Super Bowl Sunday.

Give the free advice giver a BUD, he obviously needs one.

... and I'm still pennyless for that matter

The book idea is obviously a good one. I was hoping for something more concrete, however.

JETX

Re: ... and I'm still pennyless for that matter

legalbattles said:
The book idea is obviously a good one. I was hoping for something more concrete, however.
What IAAL advised is perfectly accurate and correct.
Just curious....other than having someone come over to your house, taking your hand and leading you down to the courthouse, what type of advice WERE you looking for???

Well, The Court says that aside from issuing a judgment against the defendant, the are removed from the collection process. It is basically up to me and my own resources (or the lack thereof) to make sure I get my money back. So all I have in my resources is sending a big Russian knucklehead to beat the crap out of the defendant but I suppose that would be too drastic of an approach.

H

hexeliebe

So all I have in my resources is sending a big Russian knucklehead to beat the crap out of the defendant but I suppose that would be too drastic of an approach.
It has been known to work :D

JETX

legalbattles said:
So all I have in my resources is sending a big Russian knucklehead to beat the crap out of the defendant but I suppose that would be too drastic of an approach.
*** Assuming that you have taken the CORRECT advice given to you earlier (and not just sat their wringing your hands saying "Woe is me, woe is me"!), I would be interested in the book that gave you that recommendation.

A huge part of my practice is enforcing unpaid civil judgments. And yes, I could give you a long and detailed lesson as to what legal processes are available to you. However, you can get the same information if you follow the advice given to you...... go get a book. In addition to the 'how to', the book will likely also include sample forms, etc.

P

peeowed

did you read that url i posted?
what about wage garnishment? levy on assets? there are ways to collect unless the defendant is broke

JETX

"did you read that url i posted?"
*** I did and it was useless. Simply a link to general non-judgment information.

"what about wage garnishment?"
*** Pennsylvania exempts 100% of wages from garnishment!! Further proof that you don't know anything about the law.

"levy on assets?"
*** True, a judgment creditor can levy on non-exempt assets, but how do you propose this writer LOCATE them??

"there are ways to collect unless the defendant is broke"
*** Actually, there are ways to collect even if the judgment debtor (he is no longer a 'defendant'!) is broke.

P

peeowed

jetx i was posting that for the original poster. you are absolutely 100% correct, i don't know anything about the law (minus tax law), that is why i have been posting here.
as an attorney, you might not have found the article useful, but i found it interesting. it helps when you have nothing else to go on.
if anything, i was trying to show the poster research can be done online as well. i was only trying to help.

JETX

"you might not have found the article useful, but i found it interesting. it helps when you have nothing else to go on."
*** I would suggest you try the link EXACTLY as you provided. It simply takes the person to a GENERAL findlaw website without ANY legal information whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">