• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does it take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RIP_PAC

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

I do not know if this is the correct forum for me to be in but according to the police, that is all this is about. I broke up with my boyfriend a couple of months ago. I was used by this man until there was hardly anything left for him to get out of me. I finally got my head on straight and kicked him out. He came back about a week later and I arrived in my driveway to see him attempting to break into my house. I asked him to leave but instead he followed me inside. He never had a key to the place. He asked me for some money and when I told him he is crazy for asking that at this point, he threatened to take one of our dogs. These dogs were a part of my life and my children loved them. When I did not respond the way he wanted, he decided he was going to take both of the dogs that I have. One of them had 10 puppies 3 days prior so he went into where the puppies were, put them into a blanket and naturally the mother followed him. I tried everything to stop this man but he pushed me across the room and left with our dogs. I called the police who never showed up that night but did speak to them on the phone. They did not seem to care that he forced his way into my home, I was just told to prove they are mine and they will go get them. I did not have a lot of proof but I gave them what I had. He convinced them that the dogs weren't even at the place where they were and they arrested him for going into my home and stealing them. While in custody, he convinced the officer that I did not provide enough proof so they let him go and I walked away the fool. The officer told me this sounds like a domestic thing and he does not want to get involved. That is so unfair because these dogs belong to my children and I and even though I am unable to prove this (at this time, I will soon), he still forced his way in, he pushed me and scared the heck out of my kids. Apparently that is ok in WI. Meanwhile (and I know this is hearsay...sp?), I keep hearing stories about what he is doing. It is making me sick that he can get away with this when he only did it because it was the only thing he could control at the time. I was told by a friend that he had a big wad of money and was looking for drugs to sell. I know this is unrelated but he is using our puppies to buy and sell drugs in my town. Now I just found out that the girl he shacked up with also has dogs and one of them killed one of the puppies a couple of days ago. The puppies are 5 weeks old now. I have not done anything since this happened besides trying to get all of the proof I can that these dogs are mine because the officer made it clear that he does not want to get involved. This man and his girlfriend are now threatening to kill me and even went as far as chased me in their car and even hit mine (lightly) while yelling that they were going to kill me. I called the police the minute I got away from them but as usual, they didnt care. My ex and his girl were accusing me of being a "snitch" because I involved the police and now want me to pay. I have a restraining order against both of them now. I want nothing to do with these people but just can't shake that he is getting away with this. I even have witnesses to the day he took the dogs and when they chased me down. Apparently I am not allowed to go to the police with this and have to just sit back and when I get all of my papers, I get to take him to court. Meanwhile time is ticking and what is civil court going to do for me? Won't he just get an order to return the dogs if I win or possibly money? What about just the simple fact that he got to watch these puppies that I delivered grow up, I am not that concerned with the money part of it but why should he get away with everything when he did break the law. Besides a civil suit, is there any other recourse that I have? This man lives to hustle and probably wont even be around or have the dogs by the time the court thing happens. Am I allowed to speak to someone higher than the officer who did nothing? Do I have to just sit back and let him get away with this while trying to keep my kids' hopes up? I just doesn't seem right.

:mad: :mad:

dequeendistress

Did you speak to a supervising officer at the department or file a written complaint on the behavior of the patrol officers?

BTW the dogs, although you feel they are your children will be treated as pets/property not children. Sorry.

JETX

Okay, lets look at this objectively...... and see how this looks to a nuetral 3rd party.

You admit that you allowed him into your home ("I asked him to leave but instead he followed me inside"). Granted, you say that this was after he attempted to break in, but that is just your statement. You should have contacted the police at THAT point.

You admit that you allowed him to take the dogs ("I tried everything to stop this man but he pushed me across the room and left with our dogs"). Granted, you say this was done with threat and contact. However, you offer NOTHING to prove that these were in fact YOUR dogs and that he had no right to ownership or possession.

Clearly, from an outsiders viewpoint, this IS a domestic CIVIL matter. And presumably, that is what the police decided after hearing BOTH sides of the story.

I would suggest you take some actions to protect yourself and property first (such as alarm system, etc. at your home. Then, contact a local attorney who can review ALL the facts and possibly contact the ex and try to negotiate a PEACEFUL, UNEMOTIONAL resolution to the problem. Absent that, your only other option is to consider legal action to recover the animals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">