• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dv victim-need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joeyemery893

What is the name of your state? florida
hi-my boyfriend and i were at the beach for a weekend and
had an argument in the parking garage of our hotel.
the valet overheard and tried to intervene thinking that
i needed him to step-in the process my boyfriend put his hand
on my arm to move me from between him and the valet-long story short he is charged with felony battery with a witness saying that he pushed me-to me this is ridiculous, if i was
a man at most it would be a drunk and disorderly which is
a misdemeanor. i'mfully aware that dv laws are needed and
do more good than harm but where is the justice in sending someone to jail for not being able to handle their liquor
what can be done if anything?

JETX

"but where is the justice in sending someone to jail for not being able to handle their liquor"
*** Oh, so your saying it is okay for him to assault you, but only if he is drunk???
First off, I doubt that this was as innocent as you present here. Reasons:
- Your own post says that there was a witness to the assault and
- The police generally don't arrest someone for spousal abuse unless they can see evidence of the abuse (blood, scratches, bruising, etc.).

"what can be done if anything?"
*** Hope that this neanderthal learns a lesson from this..... or that the next time he does it, you drop a boot or frying pan on his head while he sleeps.

J

joeyemery893

that kind of response is exactly what i'm
talking about. since when is putting your hand on someones arm and moving them out of the way spouse abuse. if you must know, he was arguing with the parking attendant at that point and i got between them and that is when he moved me and told me to stay out of it.
there was no harm intended, and if i had been a man there wouldn't be any more to it. we dont live together, never have and have no children together or any of the other requirements for a dv charge.
if we had been 2 guys in the same situation nobody would blink, and if they did it would be at most a drunk and disorderly. i will state again i realize there is a good reason for dv laws and fully support that but what about when the woman doesn't call 911 and from the start says no one touched me - what then?

JETX

Sorry, but NONE of your comments matter. Simply, the police officers talked to the witness and (presumably) saw the evidence of his actions (on you). And apparently felt that they had enough to warrant his arrest.

Do you know what is statistically the most dangerous call that a police officer can go on??? Any call for spousal or family abuse!!
That is because the abused victim is usually demanding that justice be done and that the scaliwag be hauled off to jail. And usually with a tear-filled "Of course, I will testify against that cad!!"
Yet, the minute that the handcuffs are locked, the abused victim, usually realizing that his/her 'honey' is about to get hauled off and seeing the mounting legal fees in the future, will often turn on the responding officer(s). That is why most departments REQUIRE that any units responding to this calls have more than one officer.

And in this case, the officers clearly saw enough evidence (especially with the witness) to make the arrest.

The only thing left now is the trial.... and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

"we dont live together, never have and have no children together or any of the other requirements for a dv charge."
*** Okay, so EXACTLY what was the charge that was filed???

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">