• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate small claims question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tlark

I have filed small claims lawsuits before so I am familiar with the process. But my current complaint is more complicated than usual so I need some suggestions.

I live in Illinois, DuPage county. I purchased a treadmill from a local dealer in Illinois. I want to sue the manufacturer of my treadmill for failure to honor the lifetime warranty. However, the manufacturer is not a registered corporation in Illinois. They are in Missouri. Does that mean I can't sue them in Illinois?

I have considered suing the dealer, but it is actually the warranty department in Missouri who has refused my claim. I definitely want to sue this company, the question is how to do it properly. I'm thinking that I can file the small claims complaint in Illinois, and then have the sheriff in Missouri serve the manufacturer. Does this make sense? Or would it be best for me to file the case in their local court in Missouri?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Tlark said:
I have filed small claims lawsuits before so I am familiar with the process. But my current complaint is more complicated than usual so I need some suggestions.

I live in Illinois, DuPage county. I purchased a treadmill from a local dealer in Illinois. I want to sue the manufacturer of my treadmill for failure to honor the lifetime warranty. However, the manufacturer is not a registered corporation in Illinois. They are in Missouri. Does that mean I can't sue them in Illinois?

I have considered suing the dealer, but it is actually the warranty department in Missouri who has refused my claim. I definitely want to sue this company, the question is how to do it properly. I'm thinking that I can file the small claims complaint in Illinois, and then have the sheriff in Missouri serve the manufacturer. Does this make sense? Or would it be best for me to file the case in their local court in Missouri?

I would appreciate any suggestions.
**A: first contact your state consumer protection advocate and pose the same questions. Next, check out and contact www.ftc.gov. You can file an online complaint and there are no state jurisdictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">