• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A guy that owes me money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cmeq

What is the name of your state? Washington State

My roomate has been unable to pay his way for the past six months. His lies and avoidance of this matter has prompted me to seek legal advice. I am trying to recoup a total of $827.57 in back rent and utilities. He is a signed member of the lease contract. In addition to this he used my old cell phone with the understanding that he was to pay the bill. The bill has not been paid in the last six months and totals $912.20.

Do I have a legal foot to stand on in taking him to small claims court. What are the chances (legally) that I will be able to receive the full amount owed.

Any and all contributions are extremly welcome!

HomeGuru

Cmeq said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

My roomate has been unable to pay his way for the past six months. His lies and avoidance of this matter has prompted me to seek legal advice. I am trying to recoup a total of $827.57 in back rent and utilities. He is a signed member of the lease contract. In addition to this he used my old cell phone with the understanding that he was to pay the bill. The bill has not been paid in the last six months and totals $912.20.

Do I have a legal foot to stand on in taking him to small claims court.

**A: yes.
What are the chances (legally) that I will be able to receive the full amount owed.

**A: good.

Any and all contributions are extremly welcome!

**A: right.

BL

He is a signed member of the lease contract. [ quote ]

I hope you are not renewing the lease w/ this room mate .

If you have any other months left on the lease , you can see yourself back in court for the remainder of what is owed by the room mate again.

Hope you learned something .

C

Cmeq

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Today I gave him a contract with a payment plan to sign. I'm hoping he will sign this so if Legal action is warranted then I will have more ammunition at my disposal.

No, I will not be renewing a lease with this individual again and plan on living by myself after the term of this lease is complete.

Thanks agan!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">