• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open adoption file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fullocrapguy

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Is it possible for me to get my adoption file opened? I was adopted in 1971 at the age of 8. I'd like to know about my background and possible medical concerns. What steps should I take? Thank you

JETX

If a consent form is on file from the birth parents, identifying information may be provided to the adoptee at 21 (or younger with written permission of adoptive parents). Adult adoptees may register with the agency a desire not to have identifying information shared with the birth parents if such a request is made. Adoptive parents may register a similar non-consent on behalf of an adoptee under age 21.
The Department of Public Health operates a mutual consent registry for matching birth parents and adult adoptees. Adoptees may register at 21, or if younger than 21 but older than 18, with written permission of the adoptive parents. Identifying information may only be provided to birth parents and adoptees if consents from both are on file. Non-identifying information will be provided to an adoptee age 18 or older upon request.

For registry information contact:
Illinois Adoption Registry
Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records -- Adoption Registry
605 W. Jefferson Street
Springfield, Illinois 62702.
Telephone: (217) 782- 6553.

UPDATE:
Confidential intermediary. A pilot project in some areas of IL where adoptees and birth parents can request written non-id and communication with relatives through Midwest Adoption Center in Des Plaines.

You might also check on the Illinois Adoption Forum at:
http://forums.adoption.com/t113490.html

Illinois law as to accessing the records can be found at:
http://www.legis.state.il.us/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077005000000200R.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">