• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney fee's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mykena

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Second problem...I have a 8yr old son and never married the father. My new husband wanted to legally adopt my son and so we hired a lawyer. We rarely heard from him and we feel he could have done a better job. After all the biological father never requested visitation and has a criminal record. It's his parents that are behind this custody issue. In fact, they have rarely requested to see their grandson.

Anyhow, my husband couldn't understand why we didn't win in court and believes our attorney was negligent. We were paying him and then my husband refused to make any other payments. The attorney is sueing us. My husband ignored a notice requiring us to be in court and I just opened another letter telling us if we're not there on 1/12/2004 a bench warrant will be issued for our arrest!!

Should I call the lawyer and try to work out a reasonable solution? Can we really be arrested? What recourse do we have as we truly believe he overbilled us and didn't work as hard for us as we think he could have.

Need help fast--I have a new baby and I don't know what to do.

BL

If you get an order to appear in court and don't show,you can be arrested on a bench warrant. It is called contempt of court.

You should be making a complaint w/ the bar association or attorney grievance committee or such Agency if you believe the attorney was negligent.

You have to PROVE it.

Should I call the lawyer and try to work out a reasonable solution? [ quote ]

I would give it a try !!

HomeGuru

mykena said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Second problem...I have a 8yr old son and never married the father. My new husband wanted to legally adopt my son and so we hired a lawyer. We rarely heard from him and we feel he could have done a better job. After all the biological father never requested visitation and has a criminal record. It's his parents that are behind this custody issue. In fact, they have rarely requested to see their grandson.

Anyhow, my husband couldn't understand why we didn't win in court and believes our attorney was negligent. We were paying him and then my husband refused to make any other payments. The attorney is sueing us. My husband ignored a notice requiring us to be in court and I just opened another letter telling us if we're not there on 1/12/2004 a bench warrant will be issued for our arrest!!

**A: wow, your husband has a bad habit of throwing important mail away and ignoring important documents.

Should I call the lawyer and try to work out a reasonable solution?

**A: yes, show him the money.
Can we really be arrested?

**A: yes.
What recourse do we have as we truly believe he overbilled us and didn't work as hard for us as we think he could have.

**A: then you should have brought that issue up a long long time ago.

Need help fast--I have a new baby and I don't know what to do.

**A: first kick his butt for being such an idiot.

M

mykena

Thanks for replying to my problem. One more question before I contact attorney's office. We originally gave the attorney $3000 and we were making monthly payments for awhile although I find out now that my husband hasn't made a payment in over 10months. I note now that the attorney has been adding interest to our balance! Is that legal? Between my husband and self we didn't even make 10K last year and now I have his bill which is more than we made last year. Interest!! How can I afford that??

When I do show up in court on 1/12/04 is it possible that they will arrest me on the spot? I have to bring my daughter with me (12months old) as I have no child care, what will happen to her if they arrest me?? I'm scared...please reply ASAP before I call the attorneys office

BL

It appears the court has given you another opportunity to show up or else. I would be there if i were you !!

Yes interest can be added.

If the attorney "works something out " with you he/she could then with drawl the suit , and you won't have to go.

Maybe if you plead w/ him/her he/she would waive the interest.

They have a right to be paid .

And another thing, If your willing to work with the attorney , and he/she works w/ you, you are in a word stating the attorney did no wrong.

Don't try to later accuse them of misconduct, it won't fly..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">