• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by credit card company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bbwebdesign

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum but here goes:

About three years ago my father in law received a capital one credit card and used it to charge about $1000. He was making payments on time for a few months up to the time he was laid off. For the past two years he hasn't been able to make any payments for this or any other credit card. This $1000 is listed on his credit report as a charge off. Yesterday he received a summons in regard to a suit filed against him for $1100 by an attorney representing Capital One. He understands he does owe them this money but he is still unemployed and has no cash or assets. As far as I know the cars and house are in his wife's name.

What should he do when goes to court next week?

Is there anything they can do to collect a judgment if he has no job or assets?

Is there anything else he will need to know that I am not asking?

Thanks for your help,
Brian

JETX

"What should he do when goes to court next week?"
*** Stand there and when asked, say, "Your Honor, I have no defense against the claim being made".

"Is there anything they can do to collect a judgment if he has no job or assets?"
*** Yep. A judgment in Alabama is good for 20 years and accrues interest at 12% per year. Presumably, at some time during the next 20 years he will have either a job or an estate to go after.

"Is there anything else he will need to know that I am not asking?"
*** Yep, how to get the money to pay this debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">