• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas and New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

olivegreen

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi

I hope you can answer my questions. A couple of years ago I sued someone and won the judgment. The person has been paying me every month or so. I won the settlement in Texas, that is where I was living and that is where he was living. Anyway, my question is, how long will it show up on his credit that he owes me the money? How does it drop off? If he stops paying me, can I contact the court house and tell them that he is not paying me? What will happen then? I know he recently applied for a loan and they rejected him because of the judgment. I know that I can not make him pay, but I just really need these questions answered.

Another situation has arose. Before I moved from Texas, I sold my sofas to a friend of mine. That was 3 years ago. I have only received $75.00. The couches were sold for $750.00. I have tried so many times to get money from her. I have every single email that I have sent to her and she has sent back. This is getting really frustrating and it has ruined our friendship. My question is, now I am living in New York and she lives in Texas. Do I have to fly to Texas to sue her? Or can I sue her from New York? If I do have to fly from New York to Texas, will I get reimbursed if I do in fact win the judgment? Or will I only get reimburse for court fees? I know that these are a lot of questions, but I am so confused and frustrated. Thank you so much, and I look forward to your response

JETX

"Anyway, my question is, how long will it show up on his credit that he owes me the money?"
*** It will NEVER show up unless you put it there. And unless you are a subscriber to the CRA (Credit Reporting Agency), you can't have it added.

"How does it drop off?"
*** Since it doesn't 'get' there, there is nothing to 'drop off'. However, normally, the CRA will remove any information that is beyond that allowed by the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act).

"If he stops paying me, can I contact the court house and tell them that he is not paying me?"
*** Of course you can. The court staff likes a good laugh every now and then. Meaning.... the court could care less if you are getting paid or not..... it isn't there job.

"What will happen then?"
*** Nothing.

"I know he recently applied for a loan and they rejected him because of the judgment."
*** How do you know that??

"now I am living in New York and she lives in Texas. Do I have to fly to Texas to sue her?"
*** Yep.

"Or can I sue her from New York?"
*** Nope.

"If I do have to fly from New York to Texas, will I get reimbursed if I do in fact win the judgment?"
*** Nope.

"Or will I only get reimburse for court fees?"
*** Yep.

Oh, and one more thing.... the SOL (Statute of Limitations) in Texas to enforce a debt is four years. Once that time has passed, you lose the right to force her to pay.

O

olivegreen

I know that he got rejected from the loan is because IT WAS on his credit report that he owes me the money and also I spoke to the loan officer that was handling his loan with him. So I know that it did get on his credit report. He showed me.

Anyway, Thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">