• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hobby vs. Business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whositt

I live in New York.
I am 16.
I would like to start to develop websites in addition to college and my part-time job. When does a hobby end and business begin? I don't want to be doing anything illegally, but also do not want to take unneccessary steps. Right now, I do a website about every 3 months, with about $100 revenue each time. Does this constitute a business? If not, how much would? If so, what steps should I take to make this legal?

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

whositt said:
I live in New York.
I am 16.
I would like to start to develop websites in addition to college and my part-time job. When does a hobby end and business begin? I don't want to be doing anything illegally, but also do not want to take unneccessary steps. Right now, I do a website about every 3 months, with about $100 revenue each time. Does this constitute a business? If not, how much would? If so, what steps should I take to make this legal?

Thanks!

My response:

Now, THAT'S being an entrepreneur! I like that. Going to school, working, and still filling up your time with something worthwhile! That's terrific.

Okay, the IRS gives you up to five years to show a taxable profit before it disallows your business deductions you'll be taking each year. You'll have to show at least a $600.00 per year profit - - that's AFTER all deductions.

Pal, you're in business whether you know it or not. It's just a matter of meeting the IRS threshold. If you can't show profits for each of the succeeding years during the next 5 years, the IRS will disallow your deductions as a hobby.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

not to mention the kid's 16. Geeez, now I do feel old and word out.:eek:

W

whositt

So... what do I do? Would you advise slowing down and keeping under $600 revenue or promote myself to make sure I go over... and what kind of accounting practices should I take up? Should I be talking to an accountant as to what expenses I need to be keeping track of? Is there such a thing as a quick reference guide? :D

Thanks again!

JETX

Bad news.... I think you misunderstood his post and thought that the first $600 was 'free'. It isn't. You need to report ANY money you make to the IRS, not just the $600 threshold.

However, with the minimal amount you make, you are very likely tax exempt. So, go ahead and start doing your taxes. You will get a lot of experience for filling out the papers for the rest of your life.....
And you are going to get some experience with Schedule C (Profit and Loss from Business)

Good information can be found at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p334.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-fill/f1040sc.pdf

Finally, welcome to the world of tax filers.

HomeGuru

whositt said:
So... what do I do? Would you advise slowing down and keeping under $600 revenue or promote myself to make sure I go over... and what kind of accounting practices should I take up? Should I be talking to an accountant as to what expenses I need to be keeping track of? Is there such a thing as a quick reference guide? :D

Thanks again!
**A: don't slow down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">