• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption law for americans living abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AmandaYazdani

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My husband and I are American expatriates living overseas in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and I have a question regarding international adoption. My brother and his girlfriend are expecting their baby to be born on January 18 and there is only one week before her due date. They are open to the idea of allowing my husband and I to adopt their child and bring the baby back to live with us in the UAE. I do not know what needs to be done to facilitate the process, or even if it is a viable option. What are we required to do to have the baby adopted in our name? Both of them would give approval and would not contest the adoption. They have made this request of us, and we agree to the request. Doesn't that make adoption less costly and more likely? Also, what are the laws in Alabama (my home state) about taking a newly-adopted child to live in another country, if both adoptive parents are Americans? We have certain constraints placed upon us - namely the issue of time, as well as a concern about the amount of time I'd have to spend in the States waiting for an adoption to come through. There are issues of applying for a visa/passport for the adopted child to be allowed to come into the UAE, as well. I don't have much time! Someone please help me to find the information I need to carry forward!

nextwife

AL adoption law does allow a "relative adoption" to occur WITHOUT a "home study" unless one is ordered. If it is, you'd probably need a licended (by UAA) social worker there to provide one. The relative adoption requires that the child live with you one YEAR before the adoption can be completed, unless waived by the court.

TALK TO AN ATTORNEY on this.

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/al_law.htm

"Alabama Adoption Statute Summary

Code of Alabama Sections 26-10A-1 to 26-10A-38 (1997)

Who Can Adopt?
Any adult single person or husband and wife jointly who are adults may petition the court to adopt a minor. When the child arrives at the adoptive parent's home, that person must be able to be in the home with the minor for a reasonable period of time, not to exceed 60 days, to ensure the child's
adjustment.

Who Can Be Adopted?
Any minor can be adopted.

Consent to Adoption
Written consent to adoption is required by the following parties:

1. the mother;
2. the "presumed" father, regardless of paternity if he and the mother were married and the child was born during the marriage, or within 300 days after the marriage was terminated; or before the child's birth if he and the mother had attempted to marry in compliance with the law, although the attempted marriage is invalid, and the child was born during the attempted marriage or within 300 days after termination of cohabitation; or after the child's birth if he and the mother were married or attempted to marry and with his knowledge or consent he was named father on the birth certificate, he is obligated to pay child support; or if he received the adoptee into his home and openly held out the child as his own;
3. the adoption agency, unless the court orders placement without agency consent;
4. the "putative father," if he is made known to the court and responds within 30 days to the notice he receives; and
5. the adoptee, if 14 years of age or older, unless the adoptee is found not to have the mental capacity to consent.
6. If the parent of the child to be adopted is a minor, a guardian ad litem must be appointed to represent the interests of the parent.

No consent is required of the following parties:
1. a parent whose parental rights have been terminated;
2. a parent who has been declared incompetent, or who has given up the child to the Department of Human Resources or an adoption agency;
3. a parent who has left the child without provision for the child's identification for 30 days;
4. a parent who left the child with others without provisions for support and without communication for 6 months;
5. a parent who fails to respond to notice of the adoption hearing within 30 days; or
6. an "alleged" father who has in a written statement denied paternity or the biological father if he is unknown to the court.
Consent may take place at any time, except that once signed it may be withdrawn in writing within 5 days after the child's birth or within 5 days after the signing of the consent, whichever comes last. Consent can be withdrawn if the court finds that it is in the child's best interest within 14 days after the child's birth or after the signing of consent. Consent can also be withdrawn within one year if it was obtained by fraud, duress, mistake, or undue influence.

Putative Father Registry
A putative father who files notice with the putative father registry within 30 days of the birth of the child is entitled to notice of adoption hearings. If he does not file within this time period, he is presumed to have given irrevocable implied consent to the adoption.

Confidentiality
All hearings in adoption proceedings are confidential and are held in closed court. All documents pertaining to the adoption are sealed and kept as permanent records of the court and can be inspected only upon a court order. The adoptive parents, natural parents, or adoptee who is 19 years of age or older, can receive limited, nonidentifying information,including medical history of biological parents and family background. If the biological motheror father gave consent, the agency can release other identifying information, including the original birth certificate. If the biological parent did not give consent, the adoptee at 19 years of age can petition the court for disclosure of identifying information. If any person has a compelling need for identifying or additional nonidentifying information the court can order its release.

Permissible Fees
No agency or person can accept fees for bringing the adopting parent together with the adoptee or the biological parents or for giving consent to an adoption. Adopting parents can be required to pay reasonable fees relating to adoption, (e.g. medical, legal, prenatal) with court approval.

Place of Adoption Hearing
The hearing may take place in the court where the adoptee resides, where the adoptive parent resides, or where the adoption agency that has custody is located.

Authority To Place Child
Independent adoptions are not legal in this State. A child may be placed for adoption only by a parent, a parent of a deceased parent, certain relatives, the Department of Human Resources, a licensed child placement agency, or an agency, or an agency approved by the Department of Human Resources.

Relative Adoption
Certain relatives may adopt, but before adoption can occur the child must have lived with the relative for 1 year, unless the court waives this provision. Unless ordered by the court, no preplacement home investigation has to occur, and the relative does not have to report fees or charges to the court.

Advertisements
No person, organization, agency, corporation, association, hospital, or partnership may verbally or through print, electronic media or otherwise advertise that they will adopt or assist in an adoption, place or assist in a placement, or offer any form of payment to parents related to their child.

Updated March 22, 1999 National Adoption Information Clearinghouse"

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">