• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disowning/Disinheriting Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SDguy5150

What is the name of your state? California

My question is rather bizaare, and I do not know if this would be in the right forum, but here goes.

I adopted my wife's daughter. My wife and I have since divorced. My daughter is now 18, and I wish to disinherit/disown her. My question is that I know that I am able to do this so that she does not get any of the money that I currently have when I die, but would she still be legally considered my daughter?

I stand to inherit money from my grandmothers trust, and if I should die before my father, my "daughter" would get my share of that inheritance. I wish to prevent that from happening....

Any and all advice is appreciated, as I cannot find out any information regarding this particular topic.

Thanks in advance.

nextwife

Speak to an attorney!

You can't prevent someone else from willing to her, but certainly you can establish that your estate go where you wish. As to the trust, I believe, if the party that created the trust is still living, they can establish succession for inheritance in an ammendment to the trust, if they wish. Such as certain monies go to "so and so if alive, if deceased, his share would then go to so and so...."

An adopted child is no less your child, once adopted, than a biochild would be. So, just as with a biochild, if one wishes to leave them out, they need to make certain that is done by their estate planning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">