• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Parking laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tomcat60

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

If a parking ordinance has been in place for over 30 years and never enforced, are there any "grandfathering laws" that can overide the sudden enforcement of said law. Recently I have been ousted from the parking in front of my own house which I have been doing for over 15 years. All because of a complaint from someone else driving through that has trouble seeing around a corner.
Even though the area is a 20mph residential street and there has been no accidents ever recorded they have now made it illegal to park in front of my own house. What options do I have?

H

hexeliebe

Your options are very easy:

1. pay the fine and move on or;

2. don't pay the fine and go to court.

Just because a law is on the books doesn't mean it has to be enforced. In your instance, it was.

As to your idea of "Grandfathering" it is completely backwards. A grandfather situation occurs when you are doing something that is LATER illegal, such as if your place of business is not required to have sprinklers but a law is then passed requiring them.

dequeendistress

You contradicted yourself.

...parking ordinance in place over 30 years and then you state....the have "NOW" made it illegal. It already was evidently.

20 MPH? Have you seen damages from a 20 MPH accident...and who is to say everyone obeys the speed limit or possibly who is to say that someone would or would not see the small child attempting to cross the road in front/behind your vehicle which may or may not be obstructing the view.

Does your vehicle block the view???? Since you did not state if the charge was false.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">