• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigg

What is the name of your state? virginia. planning to adopt my wife's 15 year old niece who's a citizen of and resides in samoa. had plans to adopt her in samoa then bring her back to the united states and petition for permanent residency, but have been told by an attorney that i was "going about the right thing in the wrong way." would appreciate a better procedure for this situation. thanks.

nextwife

In order to bring your adopted child into the US once adoption is complete, you must have several things happen. You should have an experienced ADOPTION attorney/agency coordinating this for you

If your state gets involved in the adoption process (a few do not if it is international), you will likely need to contact the appropriate state agency (Children's and Family Services, for example, in WI) that would provide an approval to the INS on your behalf. They may not require a home study because she is a relative, if they do, you must get one. See what they will need your dossier to include.

You will also need to apply to the INS for a visa (I600? Check and see for sure) and have a legal professional in Samoa handle the Samoan portion of the adoption process there. I do not know what the Samoan requirements are, but most dossiers will, at minimum, need certified copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses, proof of income and employment, proof of citizenship, criminal background check of all parties living in your home, local police clearance, some sort of financial statement (proof of assets and ability to support adopted child), a written statement by the adoptive parents about themselves and why they wish to adopt, photos of the home environment and potential parents.

The child must be a legal orphan under the definitions applied by the INS and Hague Convention.

Last edited:
B

bigg

International Adoptions

thanks for the information. would it be a waste of time if our niece was to enter the u.s. on a regular tourist visa, and we then petitioned for her permanent residency? is there any other visa offered that would allow her to enter the u.s. and then have us petiition for her permanent residency?

nextwife

If your goal here isn't really adoption, but a means of getting the child permanent residency, then this is a immigration and not an adoption issue. Those types of question can be better answered on the Immigration forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">