• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

company I bought software from putting me out of business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

auditor

What is the name of your state? TX
About a year ago I bought a program that audits truck drivers daily logs for approximately $15,000.00. Just recently they announced a partnership with a large company that trucking companies have their documents (bill of lading, daily logs etc.) shipped there and they are scanned and stored in a warehouse. Well with this partnership they are auditing these companies daily logs and sending them back the reports, just like we do. Well today the company we work for said that they were quoted less than half of what they pay us to do the work. They undercut us so much because they don't pay for the program, they just give the software company a kickback, that it doesn't pay for for the yearly licensing fee per driver. We can't compete with that using their program simply because we would never make the money to pay for the yearly license. We can't buy another program because we would be in the negative for years trying to just pay the program off and our hands are tied since the user agreement we agreed to says that we are not allowed to write a program that is similar or performs a similar task.
Normally, I'm all for a company taking steps to better their company and make the lives of other people easier but now the company we work for is seriously looking at using them instead of us and there is no way a company is going to pay twice as much for the same service. So basically the software company that we bought the program from put us out of business and left our hands tied. So my question is, can they legally do this and why? Is there anything we can do from a legal stand point? We just would like to know if there is something we can do to recoup our loses from this software purchase and loss of our job.
Thank you in advance for you replies.

A

auditor

oh yeah

One more thing, we've worked with this software company for about 3 years now. We know everyone who works there and if you call their emergency tech support you get the vice president of the company. He also happens to be the developer. Well, he got wind that we had an image viewer (to view the scanned daily logs) that enables these companies to look at the logs without having them physically present. My husband sent them a trial version of it and guess what. The company they are partnered with is using it so they don't have to send the hard copies of it back to the trucking companies. So not only did they put us out of business, they did so using MY proprietary software!

That was just a little side note

H

hexeliebe

You need to be visiting a copyright attorney like yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">