• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maureen Adele

What is the name of your state? New York

My sisters X was reported to Child Protective Services yesterday by two people, the childrens' school physocolgist and their private phyciatrist. Many times over the years he has pulled stunts such as giving the boys knifes and telling them to work out their diiferences, chocked them and been totally inapropriate many many times. I have not allowed my own son to be around this bozo alone since he was two, he's eleven now. The Investigator interviewed my sister and the children yesterday. My sister said they would be contacting me, just what can I expect? We are afraid of this guy, this might just put him over the top. They were divorced because of abuse, the guys a nut case. Thanks for helping.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's hard to say. It's entirely possible that CPS will get an order that either rescinds visitation or requires that it be supervised if it finds the allegations to be true. Or CPS could find that the allegations are false.

If you're afraid of him (that includes your sister), and have proof that he is a danger to her, you, etc - it might be worth filing for a restraining order. Which we all know isn't worth all that much, but is still better than nothing. And then be very, very careful.

That likely doesn't help much. :(

M

Maureen Adele

Thank you for your fast response. We are getting a restraining order for my sister, good idea for me too I guess.

Do you think, due to two professionals reporting abuse, chances are good that the claim would be not be unwarrented? I'm amazed the courts even gave this guy visitation based on his past actions. We are hoping that finally someone believes this man is a danger. He continues to harrass every chance he gets. It must be hard to give up your punching bag.

M

Maureen Adele

I hope you can help out again! We filed an order to suspend visation until CPS finishes their investigation and report, my sister's attorney advised this apparently the judge hates restraining orders. The Family court clerk said this may take a few days, an Order to Show Cause was attached. Have not heard a word from the Court as yet. Tonight is the regularly scheduled visitation, now what? This gets crazier by the minute please help.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As long as there is a court order for visitation, I would not withhold the kids except by a lawyer's explicit direction. I'm surprised that an emergency hearing wasn't requested.

M

Maureen Adele

Here's the latest...the CPS caseworker is meeting my sister's X today, and will tell him its best for him not to see the kids untill the court rules on the Order to Show Cause. Here's hoping, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">