• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption process interrupted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

efranco74

What is the name of your state? TX
I lived with my ex-girlfriend for almost 10 years. At that time she had a daughter, she's now 13 years old. I tried to adopt her but I never got to finalized the process. Also, we tried to adopt a boy(her sister's son, he was physically abused)almost 3 years ago, he was 6 months old, but it ocurred the same, we never finalized the adoption. A year ago we separated, I fall in love with somebody else, and for some time I was unfaithful to my ex, until I left her home. A few weeks ago, I tried to have her sign a letter saying that I would give her some money every two weeks for child support for her two children. She refused to do that and now she told me she's going to a lawyer to ask for child support.
My question is:
Can she do that even when we didn't go thru the whole process? The children don't even have my last name. How can I know what happened to the adoption process? I live in Texas. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

nextwife

It is unlikely, if you and she were never married, that an adoption process was ever completed. Texas law appears to require that a stepparent adoption must be a spouse. Additionally, if you never appeared in court, it is unlikely that the adoption could have been completed. So, if you were never allowed to adopt , it is unlikely you could be held liable for CS. If she wants CS, the bioparents should be the one's she goes after.

Summary of TX Adoption law:
http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/tx_law.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">