• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a Business.. what is everything I need to do legal wise?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GuyFromFL16

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi everyone,

I basically already have everything in mind of what I need to do. I just want to make sure my plans are right before I proceed. I know there is a website from the state of FL that I can register with to get a resellers license ( anyone got a direct link to do all this stuff online incase my info is wrong? ), then I plan to get a fictious business name, then once thats complete, goto the bank and open the account with the info so I have a bank account under my business name and if I have customers mail money to me I can have them make out the money orders or any other method under my business name, then my question.. I plan to run this business on my own so I'm assuming I will have a Sole Proprietorship, is that right? Also, will I need to get my own EIN ( I believe that is also known as a state tax id number, is that right? ) or can I use my SSN? When I register with my state, can I put in a PO box address as my business address?

Anything else I'm missing here? How do things work in the IRS department? I want to make sure I do everything completely legal so I don't have any problems in running my business.

Also, one more thing.. I got info from a business contact that told me to get a software called Turbo Tax Home and Business so I could do my taxes on the computer. They said its approved by the IRS and its a great program. I heard that this program has a feature where I will be able to pay the IRS directly when it comes to that time using the program. Is this true?

Sorry for so many questions everyone!! I think I'm more worried about doing everything legal then to make my own sales! LOL :)

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">