• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i subpeona records thru small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sawilliams

What is the name of your state? california----hi. i was sold a vehicle with a junked non-recoverable title. somehow a junk yard in 1997 destroyed the car i have in my garage. the dmv wont give me the name of the junk yard. can i subpeona the records from the junk yard -or- the dmv before going to small claims. can i go to small claims and then subpoena. i dont know how this works. please help. thanks. steve

M

More-Alice

sawilliams said:
What is the name of your state? california----hi. i was sold a vehicle with a junked non-recoverable title. somehow a junk yard in 1997 destroyed the car i have in my garage. the dmv wont give me the name of the junk yard. can i subpeona the records from the junk yard -or- the dmv before going to small claims. can i go to small claims and then subpoena. i dont know how this works. please help. thanks. steve
Small claims court first, but if you are in "Pro Per, then the judge of said court needs to subpoena.

S

sawilliams

hi---thanks for replying. do i file with the court, go to court and then a subpeona. or file in the court--and somehow get a subpeona before seeing the judge. the subpeona is to get evidence that i need BEFORE trial. whats pro-per. thanks. steve

JETX

Actually, 'More-Alice' is not correct.

"the dmv wont give me the name of the junk yard. can i subpeona the records from the junk yard -or- the dmv before going to small claims."
*** No. The reason is that you do not have the power to subpoena without a lawsuit having been filed.

"can i go to small claims and then subpoena."
*** In essence, yes. File your lawsuit first (this gives you the power of subpoena), then subpoena the records from the appropriate party.

"i dont know how this works."
*** California makes it fairly easy for a competent person to pursue a claim without an attorney (that is called 'pro se' or 'pro per').
In this case, since you are considering taking small claims action, I suggest you go to a local bookstore and get "How to Win in Small Claims in California". It is a very good book that will answer a lot of your questions.

As for the subpoena process, the form can be filled out online at:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/sc107.pdf

"thanks. steve"
*** You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">