• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption of Cousin OH/CO/NM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kccmig

What is the name of your state? OH
My cousin lives in CO. She left her 2 year old with her mother in NM in Oct 03. Her mother is 60, ailing health and not in the best of financial situations. At Thanksgiving, her mother told her that she couldn't take care of him anymore. Two days after getting her son back she called her sister to say that she was "giving him to the state". She's had several run ins with the law (she's only 22), has no job and appears to not want to raise her child. My wife and I have tried several times to contact her and have suggested to the entire family (from whom we have unanimous support) that we adopt him. The father is not in the picture but can be contacted.

Can anyone tell us how to proceed, or share similar situations?

What are we looking at to have her declared "unfit"?

If we can say that she abandoned him, by whatever the legal definition is, does that leave him up for adoption?

v/r

Ken

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">