• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Appeal process in CA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StringCheese

What is the name of your state? California

I am the plaintiff. The defendant lost the case and has now hired a lawyer and is appealing the case. I would like to know what this new hearing will be like? Will the lawyer be allowed to ask me questions? Am I at a disadvantage for not having a lawyer? I know the facts of the case backward and forward, but I have no idea what to expect. I'm concerned that the lawyer will help the defendant twist the truth and win the judge's favor with legalese.

HomeGuru

StringCheese said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am the plaintiff. The defendant lost the case and has now hired a lawyer and is appealing the case. I would like to know what this new hearing will be like? Will the lawyer be allowed to ask me questions? Am I at a disadvantage for not having a lawyer? I know the facts of the case backward and forward, but I have no idea what to expect. I'm concerned that the lawyer will help the defendant twist the truth and win the judge's favor with legalese.
**A: what type of case is it?

JETX

"The defendant lost the case and has now hired a lawyer and is appealing the case. I would like to know what this new hearing will be like?"
*** Very similar to the first one. Only now you will be arguing your claim against someone who likely has FAR more legal knowledge than you do.

"Will the lawyer be allowed to ask me questions?"
*** Yes.

"Am I at a disadvantage for not having a lawyer?"
*** Yes.

"I know the facts of the case backward and forward, but I have no idea what to expect. I'm concerned that the lawyer will help the defendant twist the truth and win the judge's favor with legalese."
*** And that is why you need YOUR own lawyer to re-balance the 'playing field'.

Read the information on the following site, under 'Having the Judgment Reviewed':
http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/small_claims/judgment.htm

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">