• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued for Boyfriend's debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

orice7

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I just received a summons to be in court on 2/10/04 for my boyfriend's credit card debt. I was stupid enough to co-sign for it a couple of years back. A year ago, he lost his job and stopped making payments. He did just finally get a job last week, however, he does not have enough to pay off the debt. The debt is for $1620.57 with only $78.45 of interest.

I'm not too sure what I need to do. Do I need to hire an attorney? Can I go and represent the two of us and set up payment plans? Are they going to expect full payment? Is there any way out of this debt? If he claimed bankruptcy, would I then be solely responsible?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just want to know what our options are.

Thanks!

H

hjallge

You are probably going to be ordered to pay. When you co-sign for anything you are saying that if he doesn't pay, you are going to. Since he hasn't paid, you have to. There is no way around it. You might be able to work out a payment plan, it just depends on the judge. You can turn around and take him to small claims court after you pay the balance in full to try and get reimbursed for the money you are out. But, more than likely, you will never see it.

That's why until you are married, you should keep everything seperate. That is the only way that you can protect yourself and your credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">