• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age for adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dea

What is the name of your state? N.Y.

I wonder how much older the adoptive parent / than the child/ can be if he/she is a step -father/mother?
Help me,plz.

nextwife

My husband was over 50 when we adopted. I was a few years younger. Are you asking about a maximum or minimum age difference?

Here is a summary of NY Adoption Laws:

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/ny_law.htm

I glanced at the parental requirements and saw no age difference requirement, although the court may be uncomfortable if the adoptive parent and the adoptive "child" are too close in age.

D

Dea

Thank you.I am worring since the gap age between my husband and my son/ from the previous marriage is big/ approx.50years/

nextwife

You'd be amazed at the numbers of over 50 adoptive parents. there's even a weblist called GAARP just for over 40s who've adopted. There are parents over 50 adopting all the time. I'm 49, DH is 58 and we have a 6 year old from an orphanage in Eastern Europe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">