• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by dentist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

granny3

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

We are being sued by a dentist for $4850. When my husband first went to this dentist he was told that his cost after insurance payments would be $2500. This was for dentures and work that had to be done to his existing teeth. The dentist started doing root canals and never told my husband that this was an additional cost. Then one day we received a bill for the $4850 after what the insurance paid. We refused to pay this bill, which eventually was sent to a collection agency. When I asked for a copy of an estimated bill, I compared it to the one the dentist had originally given to us. One bill showed initial exam as of 11/19/96 and the copy we received later showed an initial exam date of 12/21/96. There were no indications of any insurance payments, which I know they received. I spoke with the dentist on the phone and told him that we refused to pay as he had never explained that the root canals were in addition to what we had originally been quoted. He told me that my husband should have known that this was additional. He also admitted to me that his girls never even sent some of the claims into the insurance office. I didn't feel that we should be responsible for their errors. The last date my husband was seen by this dentist was 4/10/97. I looked up the Statute of Limitations in the State of CT and we are contesting the lawsuit on the basis that the Statute of Limitations has been tolled (6 years) and also because of the discrepancies in the copies of the bills sent to us. We have to be in court at 10:00 am tomorrow. Do you think we have a chance of winning this case?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

stephenk

based on your facts and if the dentist testifies to the same facts as he told you, you have a good chance of winning.

good luck.

G

granny3

Thank you for your comments - I really needed to hear that.

I just wanted to let you know that we did go to court this morning and guess what - they withdrew the suit. The Statute of Limitations was expired! The last date they had received a payment from the insurance company was 4/19/97 and the dentist didn't sign the papers to sue us until 4/23/03 (4 days later than the 6 year limitation). Thank God! Every time I would ask for an itemized bill from them there were never any notations showing any insurance payments. I had everything documented with dates and times and names of anyone I had ever spoken with regarding this incident and I sent this to his attorney along with a copy of the CT Statute of Limiations.

His lawyer asked me how I knew all this and I told him "because I am very intelligent and I research everything before I even open my mouth." Oh, I also thanked him for the compliment!

It is a shame that more people don't research these things so that they aren't taken advantage of.

Again, thanks for your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">