• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

whoopsie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laila32

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Ok...long story short. Husband and I were arguing. I missinterpreted a physical threat (nothing actually happened except a chair knocked into the wall). I call the cops. They came...no arrest, no one was told to leave. My husband did leave because we were so angry we needed to cool off. What is going to happen? We have been married 7 years...no prior experience like this. The cops said they would give it to the da--because a chair was knocked they said they had to refer it. What is going to happen? I am really embarrassed by this whole thing... I know I never should have wasted the police's time:(

Last edited:

H

hexeliebe

Like hell you shouldn't. No matter if anyone was injured or not, throwing a chair against the wall is violence.

Taking a walk to cool off is a step in the right direction. But the DA, at a minimum, will order anger management for the both of you.

If you're really that embarrassed about this situation then suggest to hubby that the TWO OF YOU seek marriage counseling to help learn "How to Argue".

Believe me, it's an art. And throwing a chair today could lead to throwing you tomorrow.

L

laila32

I agree that we need to learn how to dissagree with out acting like fools. I also do not excuse my husbands behavior. However, I really did overreact in an exceedingly detrimental fashion-- I am no victim. Thank you for your input.

I

itsallgood

Just please be careful; I know it is difficult to interpert 'tone' on a message board; but seriously; throwing a chair into the wall; to me; is a HUGE red FLAG.

The second RED FLAG; is how now YOU feel guilty.

You may not be a 'victim' yet; but at least this type of behavior has been documented by the police department; and if there IS a next time; a 'history' can now be proved.

And in my personal opinion; I know I was NOT there; but I think I would have interperted a chair being thrown into the wall as a 'threat' of physical violence.

Has 'he' convinced you that YOU are the one who over reacted?

If so; VERY classic behavior of a potential abuser.

Maybe it was a 'one time thing'; but I think you should feel a bit more secure that this 'not so violent' episode was documented by the police department. Makes you case THAT much stronger if anything worse were to happen down the road.:mad:

L

laila32

Our argument was in regards to a sudden career change he decided upon without any knowledge on my part. We are both stressed out--lack of money does that to people. All in all, he acted like a moron and I overreacted. After reading many of the posts on this forum, I realized mine held a similar tone to quite a few. I should emphasize that I am not in fear for my safety by any stretch of the imagination. I am just really embarrassed the police were at my house, and I want to know how to make this go away quickly and quietly. I agree that if this should ever occurr again a more serious approach will be in order. Thank you all for your input.

L

laila32

I might be wrong, but I assume you mean liquor. We do not drink alcohol. We are normally pretty boring people--I wish I could chalk up such an embarrassing lack of judgement, on both our parts, to outside influences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">