• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should i retain a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

willn

wisconsin
i was served papers to appear in court today for disorderly condust and misdemeanor battery aginst my wife we had a minor physical altercation and she called the cops and i was arrested. we have since patched things up and are scheduled for marriage counciling at the end of the month. she called the d.a.'s office to tell them that she did'nt want to take legal action and she would like the charges dismissed, but they told her it was up to the judge. the papers told me i should retain a lawyer. my wife plans on going to court with me. my question is should i get one. my wife regrets calling the cops because the financial end of it is hurting not only me but my family as well. we just want to leave this in the past learn from it and move on. any advice would be great and hopefully helpful.
thank you,
willn.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I certainly would. The courts see this scenario every day, and know that more often than not the victim recants. So your wife telling them that she overreacted, it really wasn't that serious, etc isn't going to be taken all that seriously.

W

willn

thank you for your advice. Just off hand how much should i expect to shell out for a lawyer and could this be a one day event in the court room or should i expect to miss work for more than a few days in total. i already shelled out $305 on bail could a lawyer possibly get this all dropped or get the judge to let us work our own problems out. thank you will

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I doubt it would be a long drawn-out thing. Lawyers.... I've paid between $195 and $250/hour. You would want to talk to your lawyer, but I would imagine a judge would be more amenable to allowing the two of you to work things out if you were to show that you were already doing so - through anger management classes and/or counseling for the two of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">