• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance for sewing workshop

• Thread starter queenseamstress
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

queenseamstress

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I want to give hands-on sewing workshops where I will supply the sewing machines that the students will be using. The workshops will be held at the location of the client that request a workshop.

I want to know if I would be covered legally if I just had each student to sign a waiver not holding me responsible for any injury that might happen, like sewing a needle though their finger, or should I get some type of insurance. These workshops will be for adults and kids.

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

queenseamstress said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I want to give hands-on sewing workshops where I will supply the sewing machines that the students will be using. The workshops will be held at the location of the client that request a workshop.

I want to know if I would be covered legally if I just had each student to sign a waiver not holding me responsible for any injury that might happen, like sewing a needle though their finger, or should I get some type of insurance. These workshops will be for adults and kids.

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

My response:

Ah, yes, the FSSWoA (Future SweatShop Workers of America).

Depending upon how the injury occurred will determine whether a "waiver" will help you.

Why don't you have insurance offers for each of your students/parents? That way, they can either accept the offer or reject the offer in writing, and signed and dated? Make arrangements through a business insurance company for such forms.

But, you're still going to need insurance for yourself - - again since you can't "waive" every type of occurrence, you may wind up as a defendant.

IAAL

Q

queenseamstress

Reply to: I Am Always Liable

Thank you for your response. I was not quite sure if I needed insurance just to teach sewing to students.

The classes will only be one to six days per subject, for a couple of hours. I will look for insurance that I can offer to each student individually.

Once again thanks for the suggestion.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Reply to: I Am Always Liable

queenseamstress said:
Thank you for your response. I was not quite sure if I needed insurance just to teach sewing to students.

The classes will only be one to six days per subject, for a couple of hours. I will look for insurance that I can offer to each student individually.

Once again thanks for the suggestion.

My response:

You're welcome. Does the FSSWoA "Union Steward" job pay very much?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">