• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with DA's office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mworton

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband was arrested in December on a menacing charge while in a drunken stupor. This was increased to, including the menacing charge, harassment, pointing a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon. My husband is an alcoholic. There was a no-contact order that I never wanted instituted. The DA's office here has a DV advocates office and they are supposed to keep people informed of what is happening with your case. My husband is a good man, he just needs the opportunity to get help. The DA's office put forth an offer reducing the charge to harassment, with a penalty of 180 hours of community service, $500.00 fine, DV counseling, AA, 2 years probation, random urinealysis, and 2 years no contact with me. I have no problem with any of this except the no contact. How do they expect people to maintain their marriages? I never wanted the no-contact in the first place. I turned in a victim impact statement to this effect, and also was critical of the DV advocates, as they never called to impart information. I made an appointment to see the DA. This apparently infuriated the asst. DA, who then moved up the court date to prior to my appointment with the DA. What can I do?

M

mworton

My, aren't we flip. Did you get your law degree from a cracker jack box?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Once the police are involved in a situation, you're in the system. Unfortunately, many many women who are abused recant and minimize the realities of the situation to get their "good man" off and/or charges reduced. It makes the police, the DA and the judge very wary of making and changes.

The fact seems to be that someone thought you were in sufficient peril for the police to be called. Considering he was drunk and waving a gun around, that would seem to be a reasonable assumption. No, two years is not a short period of time - but perhaps it will be enough of a slap to the head to make him realize just what IS at stake if he doesn't shape up. And perhaps it would be a good time for you to attend Al-Anon meetings to deal with any codependance and enablement issues you may have.

M

mworton

Problems with DA's office

Thank you, Stealth 2 for your reply. No, I did not recant, and the charge was reduced to harassment, however, the DA's office has used information about ME that was patently untrue. I have written a letter to the judge and cc'd it to the DA's office and my husbands attorney. I believe in accountability, but not to the point where lives and marriages are distroyed. It seems to me that everyone arrested for a domestic violence crime is grouped under the same umbrella. It's kind of like plugging a pin hole with a tarp, if you know what I mean. I also have a health problem. I separated both of my shoulders in 2 separate accidents and may have to undergo surgery. I just want the no contact order lifted. I believe I have a right to request the judge to waive it. Am I correct?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mworton said:
My, aren't we flip. Did you get your law degree from a cracker jack box?

=====================================

My response:

No, but did you marry this guy in sewer? The man is trash - - face it lady. Any time a woman has a husband who is an alcoholic, and who waives a gun around in a harrassing manner, then sweetheart, he's not a "good man" and you definately need some codependence help.

And, if you think that we believe this is his first run-in with the law, then you're only fooling yourself.

Is there a trailer in your scenario? You get extra points if it says on the back, either Winebago or AirStream.

IAAL

M

mworton

Problems with DA's office

No sewers or trailers, however, your descriptions are so accurate I can only think that you know them very well. Thank you for your answer and I sincerely feel for your clients.:)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

It's worth repeating . . .

My response:

The man is trash - - face it lady. Any time a woman has a husband who is an alcoholic, and who waives a gun around in a harrassing manner, then sweetheart, he's not a "good man" and you definately need some codependence help.

And, if you think that we believe this is his first run-in with the law, then you're only fooling yourself.

IAAL

K

Ketch

If he is sitting next to you ..Then this won't mean S*it!!! But just in case

Sweetheart...deNile is NOT a river in Egypt!!!!!

I have Been there and Done that!!!...Get a grip hun!

My husband was arrested in December on a menacing charge while in a drunken stupor. This was increased to, including the menacing charge, harassment, pointing a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon. My husband is an alcoholic. There was a no-contact order that I never wanted instituted
** With that pedigree......Then hell I might not want to say anything derogatory against him either!

The DA's office here has a DV advocates office and they are supposed to keep people informed of what is happening with your case
** The DA's office is supposed to HELP you...Aren't you ready to get out?....The fact that you can't "drop" the charges ..... That Hun, is supposed to be the perverbial.."slap up side the head"....That he HAD a record .....WILL have a record!!!.....

My husband is a good man, he just needs the opportunity to get help
Yeah...I thought that for awhile when I was in DENILE...That my (whatever) was a dickhead

. No, I did not recant, and the charge was reduced to harassment
Congratulations!!!...You are the reason that MANY people ( Men/Women) in that situation ... DON"T come forward!!!( NOt to mention there are Judges that won't listen!!!) ..Cause there are people like you who swear that ...."Nothing is wrong"........

In a couple years when he tries to strangle you once or twice ( like mine did).....Then come crying......

Hope y'all work out and everything is "peachy".......:rolleyes:

IAAL....It don't matter that he is an alcoholic..or that he sticks a gun to her head.......He does "no wrong" in her eyes....And that is all that she will believe!

Last edited:
M

myroby

Good luck!

Sounds like we are in the same town. The DA here needs to be looked into. Their practice is unethical. My husband does not drink or use drugs. He has never raised his hand to me. I believe the system is suppose to help people, not destroy and psychologically abuse. Read my post (false abuse charges) if you like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">