• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can ins company sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needshormones

I live in NY. my washing machine hose came off and flooded the floor.we tried to get the water up as fast as we could before it leaked downstairs.the man that ran a small business downstairs file a claim with his ins company and they paid the claim.the man told us the ins co said the nest time it happened that the ins company would come after us. a couple of months later i receive this letter in the mail from another company wanting me to pay for damages.when i call to find out what it was,they said that i had to pay back the ins company for the claim. i dont have renters ins.the landlord of the building told me not to worry about it. that was what ins was for.am i and can i be sued by ins company for this? any info would be greatly apperciated.

HomeGuru

needshormones said:
I live in NY. my washing machine hose came off and flooded the floor.we tried to get the water up as fast as we could before it leaked downstairs.the man that ran a small business downstairs file a claim with his ins company and they paid the claim.the man told us the ins co said the nest time it happened that the ins company would come after us. a couple of months later i receive this letter in the mail from another company wanting me to pay for damages.when i call to find out what it was,they said that i had to pay back the ins company for the claim. i dont have renters ins.the landlord of the building told me not to worry about it. that was what ins was for.am i and can i be sued by ins company for this? any info would be greatly apperciated.
**A: yes you can and it's called subrogation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">