• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liabilities of ownership in a corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wjn

from new york..

i have been offered a small percentage of ownership in the corporation i work for which is now wholly owned by two individuals. the business is in dire straits and is carrying a high load of both secured and unsecured debt. in the event the we don't pull through these hard times what is my liabilty for the outstanding debt as a owner? i have not personally secured any of the existing debt but is there a possibility of creditors coming after me personally for the balances owed to them in the event of bankruptcy or a similar fate?

also, one of the first points in the partnership agreement states that i acknowledge the shares currently have a negative net worth. does this mean that i would actually have to pay off the negative value of the shares to exit the partnership?

Last edited:

H

hexeliebe

Your question requires a study not only of the Partnership agreement, but also of the Corporation charter, what type of corporation it is and a whole plethera of other factors including a study of business practices already completed.

In most cases, a corporation is a separate entity with it's own assets and liabilities. However, depending on the type of corporation this is, you COULD be held personally liable.

You really need to get a copy of the incorporation documents, the partnership agreement and an audit of the financials and ask a corporation attorney to give you an opinion based on a thorough reading of all of these.

racer72

Why would you want to throw money at what appears to be a sinking ship? If you don't want your money, send it to me.

HomeGuru

racer72 said:
Why would you want to throw money at what appears to be a sinking ship? If you don't want your money, send it to me.
**A: Correction- the FreeAdvice website has first right of refusal on all monies from users of this website.

W

wjn

thank you

thank you for the advice. in regards to why i would even consider accepting this; it is being given to me as a gift or form of compensation from a family member who is the majority owner. refusing it would undoubtedly alter the nature of our relationship. i want to hang in there and do everything i can for the business but i seem to have found myself in a very awkward position.

i had a follow up to the first question too. it is whether or not by accepting the stock at a negative net worth i would then have to pay my way out of the partnership if i felt it necessary to leave for some reason or was in breach of the partnership agreement and forced out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">