• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakoto70

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a question about adoption. Can the mother legally put a baby up for adoption without the father knowing about it?

What if she told the father she lost the baby, but didn't, and than put the baby up for adoption?

If these two people were not married, kinda like sexual playmates, does the father have any rights?

If he wants to do something about it does he need to do it now or say can he decide in 5 years he wants to investigate and see if she really did do the adoption thing can he go and claim his fathers rights and take the baby away from the only home the child has known or would the courts terminate his rights?

I know so many questions, sorry about that but I would appreciate it if someone could help me.

Karen

CMSC

dakoto70 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a question about adoption. Can the mother legally put a baby up for adoption without the father knowing about it?

*Response: Unfortuneatly yes, it can be done by mom saying she does not know where dad is and a notice being published in the paper telling dad to step forward to claim paternity. If he does not do this his rights are terminated.

What if she told the father she lost the baby, but didn't, and than put the baby up for adoption?
*Response: Again it can be done through legal notice in paper.

If these two people were not married, kinda like sexual playmates, does the father have any rights?
*Response: Not until paternity is established and if the child was placed for adoption he no longer has any rights.

If he wants to do something about it does he need to do it now or say can he decide in 5 years he wants to investigate and see if she really did do the adoption thing can he go and claim his fathers rights and take the baby away from the only home the child has known or would the courts terminate his rights?
*Response: okay...why would he wait 5 years if this is something he is really hurt by? No he can't take the child from the adoptive parents. He is a complete stranger and if the adoption was legally done correctly his rights were terminated making him a complete stranger.

I know so many questions, sorry about that but I would appreciate it if someone could help me.

Karen

Seanscott

What you are trying to do can be accomplished, but it's illegal for the mother to claim she doesn't know who the father is when she really does know.

dakoto70

Thanks

Thank you for your time and responses. This was a discussion my family was having because we know both the mother and father and I wasn't sure what the father could do if the adoption had already taken place. He doesn't seem like the type of person to move this forward and find out if the adoption did take place and I think I was more concerned with the adoptive parents losing custody if dad decided down the road to go and check it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">