• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex didnt make computer payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10thomas

What is the name of your state? Illinois

When my ex and I were married I purchased a computer. After we divorced I let her keep the computer under the condition that she make the payments. That was 3 yrs. ago and last week I get a letter saying that the company that financed the computer is suing me for the money because my ex didnt make ANY of the payments. I tried getting it back from her and involved the police, but they told me I'd have to take it to small claims court.

Am I entitled to get the computer back?

Is this some thing I can do on my own?

Does it matter what county I file in?

Thank You

stephenk

was the computer and her agreement to pay the loan balance made part of your divorce judgment?

If no, your only choice would be is to pay the balance owing and then sue her in small claims court. Do you have any written proof she agreed to pay the balance owed on the computer?

10thomas

"was the computer and her agreement to pay the loan balance made part of your divorce judgment?"

A:no

"If no, your only choice would be is to pay the balance owing and then sue her in small claims court. Do you have any written proof she agreed to pay the balance owed on the computer?"

A:No written proof....dumb I know.....but just when you think you know someone....

I do however have the serial # of the computer, the date I bought it, which was when we were still married and several emails to and from her stating that the compter "is hers" and she is not returning it....

Will that help at all??? With cost, finance charges and late fees I owe well over $4000.00 for a computer I gave $800 for...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">