• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copy of contingency agreement not provided, for starters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tasa_55

What is the name of your state? OR

My son while a pedestrian was hit by a car which ran a red light. Thankfully not badly injured, but traumatized and possible long-term physical ramifications, plus emotional problems because he already has anxiety disorder. So I decided to hire a lawyer to protect his interests. Got a referral from our bar association.

The first big problem: I was not given a copy of the contingengy agreement. This was signed over two months ago. I have requested a copy repeatedly (documented every request), via fax, phone calls, email and finally a personal conversation with the lawyer (who called me from home, acted like he hadn't heard anything about this and didn't have my file with him). It's now three weeks past the time he promised to get the copy of the agreement to me (plus responses to questions re. forms he asked me to fill out). I finally sent him a registered letter. His office signed the receipt for the letter a week ago.

Now, what I want would take about 10 minutes for him or his assistant to take care of.

I'm getting really frustrated. Is this agreement even legal if he hasn't provided me with a copy of it?

Further complicating things is the fact that I need to talk turkey with this guy about what my son is suffering emotionally, and explore looking at damages for the emotional effects of the incident. This lawyer talks to me like I'm stupid and has made snap judgements about who my son is, but he doesn't have a clue!!

So far this lawyer has gone through the steps of getting a witness statement, acquired medical records and exchanged correspondence with the driver's insurance company.

But he can't be bothered to follow through with me!

Do I fire this guy? Any suggestions welcome!

G

GoforLaw

if you are unhappy with the lawyer, get another - its your right. however, generally a lawyer is expected to return client calls and reasonably communicate with the client.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">