• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rvela

What is the name of your state? TX

would CPS consider spanking with a belt child abuse?

If some how a report was made to CPS about something like this (spanking with a belt) how would it go about handling the situation? What steps would be taken? How would the "offender" with the Belt know that there was a report made? and How could the "offender" defend him/herself in such a situation? Say there was not any abuse, just a well deserved buttwhoopin?
I am looking for some insight to how this process works. I any would could shed some light on this area it would be greatly appreciated. Or at least a direction to go to look for information?

Could charges be filed for something like this? (like with the local authorities?)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The "offender" would know when CPS contacted them to investigate the allegation of abuse.

Would spanking (oh, excuse me, a "well deserved buttwhoopin") with a belt be considered abuse? All depends on whether it left marks of any type and how severe a butt whoopin' it was.

And yes, if CPS deems it to be abuse, charges could be filed and the child(ren) could be removed from the "offender's" custody.

Rvela

This has to be said

I believe that there are millions of "well deserved" butt whoopens to be doled out, but, never do. That is a major contributing factor to most of the worlds problems.
A welt from a belt never hurt anyone, how do you effectively spank and child if it does not hurt? Honestly there is only so much talking and "time outs" you can do before a child learns that it doesn't hurt at all. what have they got to loose? A butt whoopen from mom or dad puts'em straight. Fear seems to be the only way to gain control.

From my point of view: If we can't spank the kids, then , we will throw our hands in the air and let the state pententary system decide how to keep them all in jail 5-10 years from now........oh wait.....thats our tax money they will use to build more prisons and to keep the family courts in business.

Like I said if we can't spankem', let the state have them.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That's a load of bull. Sorry, but it is. I can count on one hand how many times my kids have had a spanking - with a bare hand. They're 9 & 12. They don't need the threat of a belt to mind. Nor do they need to be afraid of me to know right from wrong. I don't hit my dogs, and I don't hit my kids. They all mind me.

CPS will investigate and determine if it's abuse. Since you seem to feel it's only a proper spanking if there are welts - be prepared to be charged for it.

B

bobina

Wow, you're a dumPass. Do some research, a high percentage of convicts were beat with a belt or suffered some other form of abuse.

I think you need to take some parenting classes.

Hopefully you are just a troll having some fun.:rolleyes:

B

blade

Wow, you're a dumPass. Do some research, a high percentage of convicts were beat with a belt or suffered some other form of abuse.

I just got done writting a term paper in school about this subject and I would like to thank you bobina for making my point very clear. BEATING I would have to aggree with you on your point, difference is I believe we were talking about a SPANKING two totally different things here. Also, FYI no I am not a teenager, I am a 33 year old parent of five.
Let us get the beating and spanking arguement cleared up here and define what I and quite a few other parents actually consider a spanking:
Spanking is defined by: use of an open hand or small flat paddle firmly brought across the buttocks of a child that does not leave bruising, broken bones, or permanent damage of any sort.

And I will pull a couple excerpts from my paper to clarify a couple other points:
Spankings are meant to be carried out not in anger and not in retribution for wrong doing. Spankings are a form of punishment that are meant to enforce the knowledge that something wrong has been done. It is also not meant to be the first punishment, but it is supposed to be the last form of punishment used when all other forms have been exhausted. Spankings should be administered when the parent is not angry and should be made absolutely clear as to why this form of punishment is being used.

In most state yes you are still legally allowed to "spank" your child as a punishment. One maybe "at the most" two spanks might be ok. A repeated spanking ends up falling into the abuse side. Doing it while in the angry mode would be considered abuse. Just depends on what CPS turns up in it investigation and how you administered the punishment.
You will know if a report was made they do not hide the fact that they (CPS) is investigating you. Although they can question your child at places like schools without your permission.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
blade said:
Spanking is defined by: use of an open hand or small flat paddle firmly brought across the buttocks of a child that does not leave bruising, broken bones, or permanent damage of any sort.
Just out of curiousity - which of these does a belt fall under? Open hand? Small flat paddle? And if welts are actually being raised - it is a cause for concern.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">