• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal questions, need some direction.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shmily

I am trying to figure out how I can get information about a lawsuit that my daughter has been named in. Someone filed a suit that includes her and I have no information about it. I dont know what county it's in, what attorneys are involved, which courthouse it was filed in. I know nothing. I need to be involved in this so someone who does not have my daughters best interest in mind, isnt speaking for her.

What can I do?

H

hexeliebe

Someone filed a suit that includes her and I have no information about it.
And neither do we. Hell, we don't even know in which state it was filed since you failed to tell us even that.

JETX

Also, how old is your daughter??
If she is not a minor and since she clearly doesn't WANT you to help..... why are you butting in??

S

shmily

I'm in Indiana.

My daughter is 6 years old. I am in no way butting in. Her dad passed away a year ago and the suit is about his death. (against his employer)

H

hexeliebe

O.K. now that we're through pulling teeth the first thing you need to do is find out where the suit was filed.

I would suggest you begin looking at the courthouse in the county where the employer is located. Baring that, how did the father die?

At a minimum, it sounds like your daughter needs a guardian ad litem.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shmily said:
I am trying to figure out how I can get information about a lawsuit that my daughter has been named in. Someone filed a suit that includes her and I have no information about it. I dont know what county it's in, what attorneys are involved, which courthouse it was filed in. I know nothing. I need to be involved in this so someone who does not have my daughters best interest in mind, isnt speaking for her.

What can I do?

My response:

Sounds like it's a "Wrongful Death" action. Okay, let's take it from another angle - - how did you find out about the "lawsuit"; e.g., did someone tell you? Did you receive a copy of the litigation paperwork?

IAAL

S

shmily

It is a wrongful death suit. It was filed by his widow and I have only "heard" about it by various people. I am not comfortable with this woman speaking for my daughter and intentionally leaving me out of this. He was employed in one county and the main office is in another county. He drove a propane truck and had a heart attack while driving.

What is a guardian ad litem? And how would I go about this?

H

hexeliebe

Although IAAL and Jet are imminently more qualified than I to answer your questions at this point, I will tell you that you can either look at the courthouse where the ex lives (county) OR where the employer is located.

You will find the case file there and at $1 a page, can have the court clerk copy each page of the file for you. It's public record.

A guardian ad litem is a legal voice for your daughter.

JETX

"My daughter is 6 years old. I am in no way butting in. Her dad passed away a year ago and the suit is about his death. (against his employer)"
*** Then she is presumably your STEP-daughter, and not YOUR daughter. And as a step-father, you have the right to access the public records (as anyone does), but would have no standing in any other issue of the litigation.

UPDATE:
Sorry about my post. For some reason I thought that the writer was the step-father of this child. My error.
Mea Culpa.....

Last edited:
S

shmily

So do I just contact any atty for the guardian ad litem? I am really clueless. From what I understand my daughters step sisters are being included in this and should not be. It's my (and many other people's feelings) that this is to push my daughter out of this. They (new wife and her children) only knew him for about 1 1/2 yrs. He didnt raise her children and they each have legal fathers. I am feeling like I really need to get involved on behalf of my daughter but I want to do it the right way.

H

hexeliebe

First answer Jet's question please. Are you the biological mother or not?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shmily said:
It is a wrongful death suit. It was filed by his widow and I have only "heard" about it by various people. I am not comfortable with this woman speaking for my daughter and intentionally leaving me out of this. He was employed in one county and the main office is in another county. He drove a propane truck and had a heart attack while driving.

What is a guardian ad litem? And how would I go about this?

My response:

Hexy, you're doing just fine.

Anyway, his wife had NO choice but to include the child in the lawsuit as a party "plaintiff". Remember, the child is also HIS daughter, and is entitled to take from his Estate. And, as the Executor of his Estate, she had an obligation to name the child and to represent her as the Guardian ad Litem in the lawsuit. A G.A.L. is only for purposes of the lawsuit, and has nothing to do with taking your child, or anything bad or untoward. It's just a legal necessity.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">