• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Business start-up - Liability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brianheyman32

I am opening a retail business in Upland California.
I would like to form an LLC but have already executed the lease as an individual. If I go ahead and form the LLC now, and get insurance as the LLC, would I be liable (for example) an injury on the premisis because I personally am on the lease. Or would it be covered by the LLC because it is the LLC that is doing business in the space and the LLC who carries the insurance. Is it necessary for me to have the lease changed in the LLCs name?

HomeGuru

brianheyman32 said:
I am opening a retail business in Upland California.
I would like to form an LLC but have already executed the lease as an individual. If I go ahead and form the LLC now, and get insurance as the LLC, would I be liable (for example) an injury on the premisis because I personally am on the lease. Or would it be covered by the LLC because it is the LLC that is doing business in the space and the LLC who carries the insurance. Is it necessary for me to have the lease changed in the LLCs name?
**A: the LLC would not protect you from liability since you are the indivdual lease guarantor.

B

brianheyman32

The Insurance provider told me to seek a lawyers advice.
They did not know. It looks like I may have to start up as a sole proprietor and change to LLC later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">