• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process Server Safety?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mykoleary

What is the name of your state? WA

My question: Given all of your individual interactions with this aspect of the legal system, how safe would you consider the job of process server?

If it's marginally safe, are there suggestions of preperations to perform prior to accepting the job?? (firearms training, weapons permits, etc...)

--- longer story below ---

I know the licensing requirements for becoming a process server in WA. They seem to be the loosest in the country. Pay $10 and you get your license. No test, no training, no bond, etc... (Although the company I'd work for would train me, which I plan to take advantage of...)

I have the opportunity to become a process server over 2nd shift. This is a perfect opportunity, as I have to stay home with my daughter during the day due to her inability to go to daycare (Doctors orders...)

The county I'm to be doing this in is a fairly rural suburb of Seattle. Think lots of single moms, redneck types, but also a good amount of regular families. I don't look down on other people, the generalizations are made to give a glimpse into the demograpics to better inform as to the exact area.

H

hexeliebe

I'd like to see a process server come onto my property with a firearm....

I'd stick it so far up his/her ass they'd think I was a proctologist.

Your state requirements and the training you will receive should be enough. But remember, it ain't easy being sleazy :D

racer72

You cannot be armed while working as a process server. That would be cause to have a case dismissed (served under threat). It is not an easy job, you will be blamed for everything under the sun. People can and will use firearms to get you off their property, they do not have to let you on. To a deranged few, your life will be worth nothing. Is that what you want for your child? There are much safer and easier lines of work, find something else to do. I am also in a fairly rural area of King County and there is no way in hell would I consider being a process server. And I'm a pretty big guy too.

P

Pfaffing85690

I believe you're right. But I am still curious about the overalls. :D

P

Pfaffing85690

Well now, rural Ohio and No overalls? Racer, please tell me you don't own cows or horses :D

I'm 6'4" and 253lbs. and I own four pair of Oshkosh :D

racer72

No farm animals here, just a dog and 4 cats. I am 6'0" tall and weigh in at about 250. I pretty much wear nothing but Wrangler jeans, never had a need for overalls. I not ready to give into suspenders either. :p

mykoleary

Pfaffing85690 said:
Well now, rural Ohio and No overalls? Racer, please tell me you don't own cows or horses :D

I'm 6'4" and 253lbs. and I own four pair of Oshkosh :D
I don't own suspenders, but I could crack out my cowboy hat...

But, since I'm neither 6" something nor 200 pounds plus, I might be better off pursuing something else...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">