• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Paid Legal Services Suck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gryndor

What is the name of your state? California

A couple months ago I was looking at my bank statements and noticed that each month, for the last several months, $26 was missing from my account. I asked my bank about it and they said it was being charged to my account by a place in Georgia called Pre-paid Legal Services, Inc.

I called them immediately and asked why were they charging me for something I never signed up for, and just how they got my c/c info in the first place.

The girl I spoke to said that I had been signed up some months ago and that there was a signed paper contract on file. I informed her that I signed nothing, had no idea I had an account and stop taking my $$. She told me she'd need to send me some info that I'd fill out so they could start their researching process.

Several days later I got a letter from them asking me to select a new payment option and send it back to them. Nothing about researching an account was even hinted at.

I called again and asked if they could please fax me a copy of my signed agreement. The girl said, "No, it's against company policy." I went up the chain of command and was very rudely treated by the last person I spoke to. She said that my contract was right in front of her, so I had an account and no right to dispute it or to demand my money back. I told her to prove it to me... knowing that there was no way that they would have my signature on anything. She flat-out refused.

I filed this story with my bank and they awarded me a provisional credit of all the money they'd taken from me.

My questions are these
:
1) If I WERE to have signed something, would it be my right to request a copy for my records? Or is this 'company policy' a legit answer?

2) Is there anything I can/should do to follow this up? What if they were to get a hold of my new c/c number?

Thanks,
Gryn

BL

You done the right thing by notifying your bank.

That "alleged" Legal Services will have to verify to your bank that the account is legit. Maybe the bank has already determined it isn't a valid contract.

Also since the payments have stopped,keep an eye on your credit reports.If this account appears there as unsatisfactory ,again complain to the CRAs and attorney Generals Office.

As for the taking of your CC# file a complaint with you attorney general's office.

Last edited:

mykoleary

gryndor said:
What is the name of your state? California

1) If I WERE to have signed something, would it be my right to request a copy for my records? Or is this 'company policy' a legit answer?

Gryn
This 'policy' won't fly with your CC company, which will require documented proof to substantiate their claim that you have an account. This proof should then be provided to you by the CC company if they side with the charging company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">