• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad checks-mediation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

postalnut

What is the name of your state? massachussetts
i took a person to small claims court regarding 2 checks that i cashed for her. bothe checks were returned for insufficient funds. the total amount was $1,326.00. i presented the two checks as evidence. we went before a mediator. the defendant claims she gave me a check for $1000 last year. i had just returned from an overseas trip and although i do remember the check i do remember returning it to her. i surmised it must have bounced too but i but didnt have proof of it on that day. the agreement we came to with the mediator was that i would request my bank to get a copy of that check and send it to her certified mail with rrr and she would pay me $1000 for the check plus $326 still owed me. my problem is there is absolutely no evidence of this check ever going into my account and i am wondering if i am still bound by this agreement or can i request that the defendant get a copy of the cancelled check with my signature and i would thereby agree $1000 was paid. we go back to small claims court in march where they will see if she has paid me. should i contact the defendant by certified mail of this? thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">