• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car illegally parked, my child hurt NH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2XMOM

What is the name of your state? NH

My 5 y/o son was riding his bike and took a corner where a car was parked within 30 ft of the corner.

My son slammed into the back end of the car, giving him a fat lip and jaw pain. We took him to the hospital where they observed him for head trauma - there was none thank goodness.

There is a perfect hole in the bumper where the small screw from the handlebars punctured and a dent the size of a child's fist if that.

The owner of the car wanted my info which I gave him. Never heard from him until 3 months later by phone saying he had 3 estimates ranging from $500-1500 and I told him I thought that range was rather large and without seeing them, no money would be given to him. We never received any proof of an estimate and he left a message saying "If I don't have a check in my hand by friday, I'm taking you to court". I told him "how can you expect me to just hand over money to you without any proof of an estimate, besides, 3 mos have gone by, how do I know what the damage looks like now?"

I received his court papers and chose to request a hearing. I do not deny responsibility, but I do think he was also in violation and should split the damages.

His court paper says $561.40 in damages + $55.00 for court fees. We wouldn't be going to court if he had tried to hand/mail/certified mail the papers to me!

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

Help? :(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

"Thoughts or suggestions" about what?

I agree with you that this could have been settled prior to litigation, but what was the reason for your post?

IAAL

2XMOM

my question i guess is "am I totally responsible for my child doing damages even though his car was within 30 ft from a corner which in NH is in violation?" He's lucky I didn't sue him for the hospital bill.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

2XMOM said:
my question i guess is "am I totally responsible for my child doing damages even though his car was within 30 ft from a corner which in NH is in violation?" He's lucky I didn't sue him for the hospital bill.

My response:

Yes, you are liable for the repairs. It wouldn't matter if his car was parked in the middle of the street. Your son STILL had a duty to watch where he was going, and not do damage to someone's property. His "illegally parked" car was NOT the "proximate cause" of your son's injuries; it was the fact that your son wasn't watching where he was going.

If the vehicle was illegally parked (which you won't be able to prove anyway), that is a problem between the car owner and the local parking authority enforcement - - not you.

Good luck in court.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">