• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California 2nd parent adoption ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teresef

What is the name of your state? California
my basic questions are: Is there a waiting period to adopt the biological child of your same sex domestic partner? Can the procedure begin before the baby is born? If the adoption is approved, can the biological grandparents attempt to overthrow the adoption on the basis that the non-biological mother is a lesbian? How much does it cost to file for adoption in San Diego? Are home visits required prior to the adoption -- and for how long?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

teresef said:
What is the name of your state? California
my basic questions are: Is there a waiting period to adopt the biological child of your same sex domestic partner? Can the procedure begin before the baby is born? If the adoption is approved, can the biological grandparents attempt to overthrow the adoption on the basis that the non-biological mother is a lesbian? How much does it cost to file for adoption in San Diego? Are home visits required prior to the adoption -- and for how long?

My response:

California's "Domestic Partnership" law does allow for adoption of the other partner's child - - but, there must be a "live birth" first. The process has no waiting period and can begin immediately upon the birth of a "live" child.

So, as long as you are the "registered" domestic partner, the Grandparent's objection will not be sustained in court.

See your local family law attorney for pricing, and other "time variables".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">