• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving a Summons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntnana

What is the name of your state? TN

My local laws on civil procedure state that a summons can be served by certified mail. It doesn't say USPS certified mail so I was a little wary.

If I send a summons Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation would that be considered 'certified'?

P

Pfaffing85690

You certainly are not talking about Tennessee. Because that's NOT what the statutes say.

If you read Tennessee code of Civil Procedures you'll find that you can serve a civil summons by registered mail "at a place where the defendent is known to be living and/or working".

And If you read further you'll answer your own question.

Which is NO, certified mail Means certified mail with return receipt required.

auntnana

Actually, yes, I am talking about Tennessee and as I mentioned, the local district court rules on top of the Federal Rules for Civil procedure. Federal court case, not state.

So after the hateful reply,(bad day or normal attutude?)I just called the court house and the clerk said any type of USPS confirmation served as well. She said they had lots of questions on it and had already addressed it.

P

Pfaffing85690

And again, your ORIGINAL post concerned Tennessee code of CIVIL procedures. Point anywhere in your ORIGINAL post where you mentioned Federal law?

IF you want an answer then state a valid question. As for hateful, you're right, I HATE people who ask one thing then come back pretending they were asking another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">