• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proof of service requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pmb2934d

What is the name of your state? California, I wish to sue someone who was a student here in California but has now moved back to his parent's house in the state of Hawaii. Can I sue him here in California. I can serve him in Hawaii but will the Judge(s) here in Orange County accept the service?

Can he be served in person by a process server in Hawaii and will this be accepted in lieu of service by certified mail with return receipt?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pmb2934d said:
What is the name of your state? California, I wish to sue someone who was a student here in California but has now moved back to his parent's house in the state of Hawaii.

Can I sue him here in California.

MY RESPONSE: If the incident or transaction occurred here in California, then yes, you can sue him here - - just as long as you're within the applicable Statute of Limitations.

I can serve him in Hawaii but will the Judge(s) here in Orange County accept the service?

MY RESPONSE: Yes, if the transaction or incident occurred in Orange County, then you can serve the defendant by Certified or Registered mail with return-receipt-requested. This is the most liberal method for service of summons allowed under California law. A nonresident defendant can be served anywhere in the world simply by mailing him or her copies of the summons and complaint "by first-class mail, postage prepaid, requiring a return receipt" (i.e., certified or registered mail). [Ca Civ Pro § 415.40]

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

Oh, and lets not forget that IF you get a judgment in California and the debtors assets are in Hawaii..... you will have to domesticate your claim THERE to be able to get 'at' his assets to enforce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">