• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

local vol fire dept business dealings suspect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nudefirefighter

What is the name of your state? VA

I recently moved from another part of the state and joined a local fire dept. I have belonged to 3 fire depts within this state. I am beginning to suspect the business dealings of this organization (apparent insurance fraud, questional money transactions, etc). In the 20 years I have been involved in volunteer fire departments, I am accustomed to business meetings being open to the public so Johnny Citizen can come in and voice his/her opinion and play a part in their protection. I am also accustomed to members being allowed to sit in on a board meeting (except for executive session where personnel matters are addressed) ... and I have also seen as a matter of policy that the department finances are posted for all members to review. The leadership of this department is all one family and has made it known that they will (and have in the past) removed members from the roster who question their motives and/or actions. Membership votes very little with almost all decisions made at the board level (no input from membership). I have also recently learned of a purchase of a 38' motor yacht (3 years ago) which the department owns yet membership doesn't know where it is.

My questions are:
(1) Shouldn't Corporation by-laws be posted for all to see?
(2) Can one obtain a copy of the by-laws from the state without going through the corporation (they'd kick me out if I asked for a copy).
(3) Shouldn't public interest non-profit, charitable corporations business meetings be open for public attendance?
(4) Shouldn't Roberts Rules of Order be used in business meetings as the standard?
(5) Shouldn't detailed financial records be available to members for review/approval?

Thanks in advance for your help.

N

nudefirefighter

I haven't spoke with my county supervisor (yet). I want to ensure I understand the proper way that we should be conducting business before I go to her. I've just never seen an organization ran this way and it really makes me suspicious (and I'm not normally a suspicious person).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">