• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracibest

What is the name of your state? Florida

Situation: BioMom of my step children has not seen them (girl/14 boy/7) in over a year. She chooses not to see them, I, along with her(bio mom) parents have tried to schedule visitation, but she never shows. My step daughter has accused Bio mom's husband of sexual abuse, so bio mom has to have supervised visits because she did not support her daughter. She has not paid her court ordered child support in over three years, and just recently stopped insurance coverage on the children, which was also court ordered.

I guess my question is... Do I have a chance of adopting these kids? Is it totally wrong for my husband and me to tell her that she either fufill her court ordered duties, or sign over parental rights, being as she has nothing to do with the children anyway. My step daughter has told me many times that she wishes I could adopt her and her brother. I think this would be a great birthday gift for her, but do you guys think i have a chance?

P

Pfaffing85690

There are very strict rules for adoption in the Florida Statues Title 39. And from what you have posted here, there is not a clear case for termination of the parental rights of the bio mother.

In any case, you need the services of a good family law attorney.

P

Pfaffing85690

Nawwwwww, I was referring to the statue they errected of "CHAD" in the square on Governor's row...kinda looks like Jeb Bush with a sly grin on his face :D:D:D

djohnson

Along with the other advice I would also like to recommend you do a search on here and read some of the others stories in situation like this. Step Parent adoption is a very common question here. A lawyer would be highly advised. I think you have a good chance. The fact the she doesn't pay child support however is a different issue.

The first thing you would have to do is terminate her rights. This has to be done before you can file for adoption. I think abandonment alone would give you a reason to do this. The rest will depend on if she agrees or fights it. It can be a hard road if she wants to fight. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">