• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Lease Problem after Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

francisco310

What is the name of your state? California

In 2001 I leased a car under my name. In 2002 I got divorced and she wanted and got the car.

Now, 2 years later, she is not making her lease payments. She is 4 months behind and Repo is next in order. Of course this will reflect on my credit. I have still 14 months left on the lease and I already have 2 cars. Cannot afford to absorb another lease.

What can I do? Is there anything, that can be done legally against her?

I appreciate any advise I can get.

Francisco

JETX

"What can I do?"
*** Lets see....
- You can take over the payments, or
- You can turn the car in and take the hit, or
- You can wait until they repossess it.

"Is there anything, that can be done legally against her?"
*** Not unless you can show a court that she had agreed to accept responsibility for the balance of the lease..... preferably a WRITTEN agreement.

djohnson

"In 2001 I leased a car under my name. In 2002 I got divorced and she wanted and got the car."

How was this handled in the divorce decree?

JETX

"How was this handled in the divorce decree?"
*** Clearly, it WASN'T!!! And that is part of the problem now. The writer didn't want to be burdened with the lease and the 'ex' wanted the car. Pretty simple, and likely a 'hand-shake' deal or we would have presumably heard about any WRITTEN agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">